Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Well it's raining again here . The council has 4 tractors slashing the grass along the main road in readiness for the Huon Show this Saturday. Why they didn't do it last week, not in the middle of school bus run, I will never know. To add to the bedlam, the big semis hauling the carnival rides are all rolling in . On a brighter note, the forecast for Saturday is fine and 20 . Should be a good day for show jumping !

Councils do the dumbest things sometimes. Our council decided to dig up the causeway(bridge) on our street 2 weeks ago so now our street is cut into two. The poor school bus driver has to go into our end of the street for 2 pick ups then go back out onto the highway and go in the other end to pick the rest up. Adds 20mins to the run in both directions. When will it be finished? The week after school finishes.Think they could have waited another few weeks til school finished for the year

Last edited:
Hi Megas i'm in Esk in qld. We have bore water i forget city people still can't use sprinklers The first 2 years we were here we only had tank water and it hardly ever rained. We spent $10 000 to have our bore put in in october of 2010. Unbfortunately in this area water is way down so they had to drill 60 metres to get water. Then it flooded in jan of 2011 .. Typical. . We had a rain water tank when we lived in the city and the restrictions came in. I hate watermelon myself so don't blame your hens lol

Haha yeh it makes it super hard! These hot days are horrible for them! Luckily they have a lot of shade in the gardens so that helps a lot! Starting to leave them out from 5am till 6 pm now so they don't feel the heat in their coop.. Hopefully the summer won't be as bad as predicted!

Bummer Sandee. Unfortunately the 40mm we have had is not enough to top up my big tanks either I am just so excited to see a little bit of green to the grass... Yeah i know i need to get out more lol

Meander down to Victoria - the outer rural east areas of Melbourne, and you can have as much ruddy rain as you like. It has been raining NON-STOP since yesterday evening ( now Wednesday mid afternoon ) .... the chicken coops are wet on the ground - but the girls can get up if they want, away from the wet floor and they roost at night. We are utterly saturated, and my tank is now overflowing at a huge rate. Very cold too - for this time of year ?? Snow in the high country - ( and probably lower ). Will wait until the first good day, to clear out the coops - as there is no point to doing it now, more rain predicted I think for the next 2 days at least. Ugh. Yet just a few years back, we'd have all given our worldy possessions for rain down here.

Two of my 3 girls have the sense to come out - look around for a bit, eat a few whatever slimy things they can find, and then go back in. My little Araucana loves nothing more than being wet, and would stand out in the rain all day if I permitted it - so she is a temporary 'caged' bird until this lot is over. She has a lovely big coop to play around in ... and a toy dog to keep her company .... !! ( nuffin wrong wif me
roll.png
) she is separated from the other two, as one of those has a decidedly nasty, even murderous attitude towards poor little Mindy.

Hope you do get some good rains very soon. And without any high winds etc. with it.

Cheers ...... AB

Last edited:
Lol it's jinxed now it will rain ! But I will say its forecast for us to rain sat to Monday clearing Tuesday

Better not think he will kill me lol. He is going in a very lowered hz holden that will not come down our long driveway if it is wet. Make for an interesting run to the gate for sure.

Last edited:
Chooks have finially started eating outta my dine a chook feeder and 1 has even laid in the flash nest box I made for them. Just gotta get the other chook to use the nest box now instead of the ground
1f610.png

Last edited:
Chooks have finially started eating outta my dine a chook feeder and 1 has even laid in the flash nest box I made for them. Just gotta get the other chook to use the nest box now instead of the ground
1f610.png
yesss.gif
it doesn't take long for them to learn. Perhaps keep an egg in the flash nest box over a day or two to encourage the other girl to lay there.

Back
Top Bottom