Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Expanded our flock today we now have 5 chooks 2 commercial layers 1 polish and 2 frizzle Peking will upload some picks later on had to build a isolation pen for the new arrivals how long should I keep them isolated from the others?
A week minimum- I rarely bring in birds (only eggs ) to my flock, but treat them with antibiotics and (depending on age) Amprolium before introducig them to the rest.

xxx M

Yeah like Ash said no less than a week but the longer the better. Some diseases can take a few weeks to show symptoms.
We kept our favs isolated for four weeks then put them in a seperate pen next to the existing birds for a further two weeks so they could all get used to each other before we mixed them.

Next time I'm getting eggs because it was a pain lol

Last edited:
IMO, longest is best, but it comes down to a personal choice. They are your birds.

One place I get eggs from always puts new birds in a clean coop, and checks them over for parasites, then keeps them separate for a couple of weeks keeping a close eye on them.

Some diseases can take up to 6 weeks to manifest, so ideally that is the sort of time frame some aim for, but many don't have the patience or ability (through space, facilities etc) to have two runs for that long.

Personally, I would go for a month at least, but some seem happy with a couple of weeks.

Also consider the age and size of the birds, once bio security is in hand, you need to consider joining the flocks, introducing them and reducing the chance of excessive fighting. I have read commercials can be quiet b****y towards newcomers so take your time bringing them together. Plenty of info on here about how people go about that when the time comes.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing some pics :)

Hello again :frow
Back with another question please :)

My Silkie babies are now 5 weeks old and chomping away on chick-start, vegies, rice and pasta.
It is time to buy more chick-start but before I do, I have been reading that they can maybe start on something in between chick-start and lay mash or pellets, like a finisher or grower or pullet feed.
I have read that it is an idea to slow the growth with less protein and calcium but then I have also read that finisher, grower is only for meat birds?
Do I just persevere with the chick-start or is there something else they can have between now and 16 or so weeks of age?

Hi Teila,

Most of the chick starter brands you get here are very powdery, and I agree, I don't like them either. The Laucke brand chick starter is by far the best, it is not as powdery, but you may need to check the website to find a stockist. They also have a micropellet for growing pullets out, which is also an excellent quality. Some pullet grower is also crumbles, and still too powdery. There are different kinds of finishers/growers, and the meat bird one is called - usually, I think - broiler grower. So as long as you get a pullet grower, you are good to go.

Since they are silkies, so rather small, maybe crumbles is the best way to go, but the micro - pellets aren't very big (hence the name :lol:)

Last edited:
Hi Teila,

Most of the chick starter brands you get here are very powdery, and I agree, I don't like them either. The Laucke brand chick starter is by far the best, it is not as powdery, but you may need to check the website to find a stockist. They also have a micropellet for growing pullets out, which is also an excellent quality. Some pullet grower is also crumbles, and still too powdery. There are different kinds of finishers/growers, and the meat bird one is called - usually, I think - broiler grower. So as long as you get a pullet grower, you are good to go.

Since they are silkies, so rather small, maybe crumbles is the best way to go, but the micro - pellets aren't very big (hence the name
lol.png
)
Thank you rexy .. really appreciate the advice
smile.png

I now have enough chick-start for another couple of weeks. As I mentioned, this batch does not appear as powdery. I don't know the brand, I buy it from my local produce store and they obviously buy it in bulk and then put into 5kg bags. I did ask, they don't stock a pullet grower but I have a couple of weeks now to check out the Laucke website and the one Bens-Hens suggested, maybe see if I can order on line. The Produce Store recommended slowly mixing the lay mash with the chick-start at about 10 weeks of age. I think I'm better off with the BYC suggestions and will look at a pullet grower as an in between. Wow, it can actually get confusing! lol

Thanks again - I don't know what I would do without BYC! :)

[/IMG]

Pictures of our new girls still don't know how those polish can see anything hahaha but the wife's in love with these three, likes our layers as well but they ain't as friendly as these so I can see her becoming attached :)

Back
Top Bottom