Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

My sussex chicks are a week old already, taken care of by a beautiful Blue Australorp Lizzy. The youngest chick hatched under Lizzy last Saturday, and I am a bit worried about her (the chick that is). I don't see her eat or drink like the others, and she is always under mum. I hand fed her some mushy food a few times and made her drink some water. Any other suggestions? One of the reasons I decided to hatch some chickens other than hatchery hybrids is I want my own broody! Never had one. Unfortunately Lizzy is not mine :) Just on working holidays :)
:love

Hi guys
I got a big problem!!! A big fat possum has scared my 4 Rhode Island reds and they won't go inside their coop at night!
1f631.png

Even though they were going in and out happily before this incident.
Does anyone have a good idea to get the chooks going in at night and the possum away from the chooks and their food?

Hi guys
I got a big problem!!! A big fat possum has scared my 4 Rhode Island reds and they won't go inside their coop at night!
1f631.png

Does anyone have a good idea to get the chooks going in at night and the possum away from the chooks and their food?

Hi 3- chooks, I have possums regularly raiding my coops , apart from stealing food they don't do any damage. You may have to lock the possum out and chooks in for a week. That will imprint their little minds again, it may also be necessary to trap and relocate the possum ( that is , if you don't live in the bush ).

You know in England you can buy HEAPS of roo steaks yet over in Aus...nothing.lol.

Yes there and many other places in the world. You could buy it in Harrods once. But you can buy it in Australia now. It took the industry many years to get the authorities to allow it. Just don't buy it from SA producers unless they have lifted their processing standard. Tassie sold wallaby for a long time before.

Cheers

She is getting up and scratching, the little one just stands there or tries to cuddle up to the older chicks.

I would keep watching her red. May just be that she is a little younger and taking her time to get going. I usually find with mumma hens that if a chick is not right the kill them, sounds cruel but they seem to know when a little one isn't gunna make it.

Hi guys
1f631.png

This momma and her baby are the main culprits here.

Yes, that's a nesting box they are sleeping in.

Back
Top Bottom