Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey all its been awhile.

Sad to say I discovered my biggest (I was 90% sure he was a rooster) light sussex dead this morning. He'd been acting pretty docile the last two days, was on his own and also seemed sleepy too. I've seen these symptoms various times over the years in other chooks. My other chooks all appear to be fine, but it is concerning that a seemingly healthy young chook has just dropped dead.
Any ideas what happened to him? what can I do to prevent this in future?

Thanks

Thanks! I feed them Showbird Pellet (17% protein). They've been on the same food since POL. Do you have any recommendation of a better feed out there? I just called my local shop, they said other than Moximax (I think it's what Cydectin is), there's also The Big L Wormer, which you mix in with their water. I might try giving them that from tomorrow onwards (their last cocci meds dose is tonight).

Are you using Laucke mills show bird? That's what I use for my marans.

Thanks satay. No they didn't take a poop sample. There was no diarrhea in the box. Although this morning I just realised it's Nugget, my Sussex, who has a bit of a dirty bottom. I didn't take her to the vet last night as she was the one who didn't look sick (still has a good weight on her etc). There was no diarrhea in the floor of the coop this morning either though. Do you know what is normal in terms of dirty vent and when you need to start to worry? I've given her the same cocci meds as the other too, and also Moximax. Will get the Big L later today and put it in their water from tomorrow onwards as tonight is their last cocci med dose. I've also added ACV to their water this morning, and Protexin is on the way.

Sounds like you are doing your best. Dirty butts can happen a bit specially in ones like cochins and pekins. It's normally only a worry if it starts to clog the hole hence stopping them from popping properly.

Hey all its been awhile.

Sad to say I discovered my biggest (I was 90% sure he was a rooster) light sussex dead this morning. He'd been acting pretty docile the last two days, was on his own and also seemed sleepy too. I've seen these symptoms various times over the years in other chooks. My other chooks all appear to be fine, but it is concerning that a seemingly healthy young chook has just dropped dead. 
Any ideas what happened to him? what can I do to prevent this in future?

Thanks

Sounds like cocci. Sorry. Keep an eye on the others and if you see anyone else looking lethargic, wings down treat them all with amprolium . You can buy it on line at ' little farm poultry supplies '.

At this time of the year I buy 2 x bags of free range grain to 1 x bag of game bird finisher ( 23% ) and mix them together. Once a week I boil 2 x bags of no name pasta spirals .65 c a bag , stir in 3-4 raw eggs and 3 tins of sardines in oil $2.70 . That feeds 50 birds. And they will run you down for it. When I have excess eggs I scramble them and add some Greek yoghurt, another crowd pleaser. Mine will not eat the normal sized pellets, they find the micro pellets much more palatable .
Thanks Fancychooklady. Showbird is micro pellet too. I gave them some scrambled egg and yogurt with oats this morning. And some cooked lamb mince. Will try pasta with sardines sometime soon!

Thanks Fancychooklady. Showbird is micro pellet too. I gave them some scrambled egg and yogurt with oats this morning. And some cooked lamb mince. Will try pasta with sardines sometime soon!

The game bird finisher is Laucke mills next one up , it's 22% protein and I give it at this time of year to raise protein levels during and after a molt.

The game bird finisher is Laucke mills next one up , it's 22% protein and I give it at this time of year to raise protein levels during and after a molt.
If I feed them such a high protein food, would it still be ok to give them minced meat and dried mealworms which are also high in protein? Or would it be protein overload?

Back
Top Bottom