Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

MyHaven OMG! Really? 

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of Rosie and your Silkie :(

Granted I have only lived here for five years but I have never seen a fox … my coop and run is adequate to keep our fat neighbourhood dogs and cats but it is definitely not hungry fox proof!

Thank you for the heads up, I will be even more vigilant than usual … fingers crossed they do not feel brave enough to tackle Sandgate Road or, if they do, they prefer the taste of readily available Crows!

Very concerning :(

Sorry to say, they do brave Sandgate Rd. I haven't seen them there, but my poor friend caring for my animals while I'm away (and who had to deal with the aftermath of the attack) has seen them on both sides recently. I think they are in the wetlands and the scrub on the top side.

I couldn't believe it when I heard they were on the Nothgate/Virginia border - there isn't much bush there - along the creek I suppose.

Satay, that is a beautiful picture. Thank you.

This years SLW boys, very calm boys.

Congrats to everyone who've had successful hatches. Loving all the baby pics
love.gif

Commiserations to all who've lost a part of their flock, it is never easy.

@Fancychooklady what strapping young lads! Handsome boys.

Foxes are probably my main concern. While I've never seen one where I am (semi-rural), they are no doubt around the place. I've taken what measures I can to secure the coop but I do not think it's enough to keep them out if they were to want to prey on my flock. My 3 dogs are outside while we are at work so they may be a deterrent during the day but I do worry about the night.
Birds of prey and snakes are also in my mind, but less so. The land around my place is flat and mostly devoid of places to hide in the form of scrub and gardens for snakes. I'm yet to see a BOP around but a friend of mine had two of her girls killed by one the other day; she's not all that far away from me either.

Anyway, I had more success at the shows over the weekend. We were awarded dog challenge (best boy dog), then went on to win best of breed with stiff competition from a very prominent and well known Dalmatian breeder. We got 11 points to go towards Yahtzee's Australian Champion title. Only 89 more to go!
To my complete surprise we were also awarded Runner Up Best In Group!!
th.gif
This is an amazing achievement for a dog in his age class (minor puppy which is dogs aged 6-9 months). Usually they are awarded to much more mature dogs.
Here's a pic of yours truly and Yahtzee with our lovely judge

He also got Minor In Group as a default as well. Very proud of my boy.

Also in other news, I got a new cockerel yesterday. It hasn't been the same without Casanova. The new fellow is another pencilled rock bantam. Now to find a name for him.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who've had successful hatches. Loving all the baby pics
love.gif

Commiserations to all who've lost a part of their flock, it is never easy.

@Fancychooklady what strapping young lads! Handsome boys.

Foxes are probably my main concern. While I've never seen one where I am (semi-rural), they are no doubt around the place. I've taken what measures I can to secure the coop but I do not think it's enough to keep them out if they were to want to prey on my flock. My 3 dogs are outside while we are at work so they may be a deterrent during the day but I do worry about the night.
Birds of prey and snakes are also in my mind, but less so. The land around my place is flat and mostly devoid of places to hide in the form of scrub and gardens for snakes. I'm yet to see a BOP around but a friend of mine had two of her girls killed by one the other day; she's not all that far away from me either.

Anyway, I had more success at the shows over the weekend. We were awarded dog challenge (best boy dog), then went on to win best of breed with stiff competition from a very prominent and well known Dalmatian breeder. We got 11 points to go towards Yahtzee's Australian Champion title. Only 89 more to go!
To my complete surprise we were also awarded Runner Up Best In Group!!
th.gif
This is an amazing achievement for a dog in his age class (minor puppy which is dogs aged 6-9 months). Usually they are awarded to much more mature dogs.
Here's a pic of yours truly and Yahtzee with our lovely judge

He also got Minor In Group as a default as well. Very proud of my boy.

Also in other news, I got a new cockerel yesterday. It hasn't been the same without Casanova. The new fellow is another pencilled rock bantam. Now to find a name for him.
The only things that keep foxes out are concrete, steel and especially electric wires at fox nose height.

xxxxx M

Foxes are definitely an issue here!!

The rooster called alarm yesterday and I went down to check...our stumpy tail lizard had escaped his pen and was investigating the chook pen!
20mins later he called alarm again... this time to the sky where a falcon was hovering! Lucky I was still outside and yelled at it to move on!
3rd time in an hour..."what now?!" Just a blimmin sparrow...Rooster and I had a chat about being over sensitive.

Fancy they are absolutely gorgeous!!! Sidhe thats hilarious but at least u know hes doing his job!

I know i dropped off the face of the earth for a while but im back! Im a tax consultant so its been a flat out time of the year for me! On top of that we just bought our first house!! Got the keys of friday and finally finished building our Rodney proof fences today so have literally just moved the chooks. Hope they love their new home, i know they will - we do!

So looking forward to catching up on everyones new additions and news but for now ill sign off with a couple of dark pics of their brand spanking new shed we also built earlier this week :)

Omg fancy they are stunning!!!

Congrats to Yahtzee kspot, you must be so proud of both him and yourself, a real credit to your training that a dog so young is getting such high acheivments. My dogs at that age still couldn't remember "come" half the time, and I wouldn't have dreamed of asking them to stand still, wouldn't have happened, asking for failure! Infact Suzie who is now 6 still can't quite master "stay" and she won't sit on command unless she's right beside me (she's well behaved enough for a pet). Any tips would be appreciated!

Foxes are definitely around here but I've never seen one unless you count the dead ones on the side of the road, my current coop set up wouldn't stop a thing, barely keeps them in sometimes!, the only thing that protects them is said dog who barks at anything unusual. I'm working on it though .

Last edited:
Fancy they are absolutely gorgeous!!! Sidhe thats hilarious but at least u know hes doing his job!

I know i dropped off the face of the earth for a while but im back! Im a tax consultant so its been a flat out time of the year for me! On top of that we just bought our first house!! Got the keys of friday and finally finished building our Rodney proof fences today so have literally just moved the chooks. Hope they love their new home, i know they will - we do!

So looking forward to catching up on everyones new additions and news but for now ill sign off with a couple of dark pics of their brand spanking new shed we also built earlier this week :)

Ah exciting times for you and Rodney. :D

Congrats on the new house Rodney :)

Back
Top Bottom