Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Little update on my doves. Decided to candle tonight because they are due to go home and I was pretty sure we were past hatch date. Well it's in an awkward spot so I lifted the cat carrier and reached for the egg but felt broken she'll. so my daughter grabbed the torch and I carefully lifted mum.

Her exact words were "omg there's a baby and it's ugly as sheet!"
1f606.png

Not sure what to do now. Do we give it a few more days before moving them back home (half hour drive). They are both first time parents

I don't know what to do with doves, but that's an awesome comment.

Little update on my doves. Decided to candle tonight because they are due to go home and I was pretty sure we were past hatch date. Well it's in an awkward spot so I lifted the cat carrier and reached for the egg but felt broken she'll. so my daughter grabbed the torch and I carefully lifted mum.

Her exact words were "omg there's a baby and it's ugly as sheet!"
1f606.png

Not sure what to do now. Do we give it a few more days before moving them back home (half hour drive). They are both first time parents

:celebrate If you are moving them back home in the same cage they are in now should be fine. Mum will just bunker down on it.

Last edited:
Quick question to everyone with bantams, have you ever had any problems with aerial predators?

Yes only once years ago some sort of hawk pick up a full grown bantam and was going ot cart her off. I heard the screams from my bantie and ran out and she thankfully was dropped. The peewees chased it out of the place.

Good morning Friends
frow.gif

Thank you Anniebee; your suggestions were not ridiculous and I have taken them on board; definitely considering the overgrown owl(s). Moving the umbrella around seems to have deterred them a bit as per your point 3. they do not like new.

Today, I have Blondie in a different spot, up against a couple of low retaining walls so two sides of the crate are blocked from Crow access but not the breeze, meaning I can put her food way up the back out of reach.

Fizzybelle only aerials I have a problem with are Crows and I would not trust them with chicks. However, that is probably because Hawks do not appear to frequent this area but if they did, as others have suggested, I believe they would be a problem for bantams and LF’s.

Aaaaw appps congrats on the baby dove!

Not the best pictures in the world cos the duelling broody’s were on the move and they are a bit blurry but the following gives you the idea.

First up though, poor ole LuLu is moulting and has lost her tail .. she kinda looks like she backed into something
lau.gif

KiKi "I know there is a nest box in there somewhere .. let me in!"

Blondie "I know there is a nest box in there somewhere .. let me in!"
lau.gif

"Me? Cranky? Now why would you think that?!"

KiKi has a hold of some of Blondie's tail feathers:

Not sure who has a hold of who here:

You can just see KiKi coming in for the attack from the right:

Hey there chicken-clucky I do not mind you asking.

We are in a no rooster zone here, so any eggs I give them would have to be picked up locally or posted here. That is OK, I have done that in the past .. Blondie, KiKi and Crystal were all hatched here.

Blondie has had a hatch and Cilla has had three.

The main reason though, I am only allowed to have 6 chickens so, if I were to let the girls hatch some bubs, I would have to give them all away. I feel kinda bad bringing chickens into the world that I can not keep and which may end up being eaten by humans or their pets. If I could keep one or two of them, maybe, but seen as I cannot keep any, not going down that path.

Good morning Friends :frow Thank you Anniebee; your suggestions were not ridiculous and I have taken them on board; definitely considering the overgrown owl(s). Moving the umbrella around seems to have deterred them a bit as per your point 3. they do not like new. Today, I have Blondie in a different spot, up against a couple of low retaining walls so two sides of the crate are blocked from Crow access but not the breeze, meaning I can put her food way up the back out of reach. Fizzybelle only aerials I have a problem with are Crows and I would not trust them with chicks. However, that is probably because Hawks do not appear to frequent this area but if they did, as others have suggested, I believe they would be a problem for bantams and LF’s. Aaaaw appps congrats on the baby dove! Not the best pictures in the world cos the duelling broody’s were on the move and they are a bit blurry but the following gives you the idea. First up though, poor ole LuLu is moulting and has lost her tail .. she kinda looks like she backed into something :lau KiKi "I know there is a nest box in there somewhere .. let me in!" Blondie "I know there is a nest box in there somewhere .. let me in!" :lau "Me? Cranky? Now why would you think that?!" KiKi has a hold of some of Blondie's tail feathers: Not sure who has a hold of who here: You can just see KiKi coming in for the attack from the right:
You seem like you have a pack of unrooley teenage school girls there :lau

Last edited:
Good morning Friends :frow Thank you Anniebee; your suggestions were not ridiculous and I have taken them on board; definitely considering the overgrown owl(s). Moving the umbrella around seems to have deterred them a bit as per your point 3. they do not like new. Today, I have Blondie in a different spot, up against a couple of low retaining walls so two sides of the crate are blocked from Crow access but not the breeze, meaning I can put her food way up the back out of reach. Fizzybelle only aerials I have a problem with are Crows and I would not trust them with chicks. However, that is probably because Hawks do not appear to frequent this area but if they did, as others have suggested, I believe they would be a problem for bantams and LF’s. Aaaaw appps congrats on the baby dove! Not the best pictures in the world cos the duelling broody’s were on the move and they are a bit blurry but the following gives you the idea. First up though, poor ole LuLu is moulting and has lost her tail .. she kinda looks like she backed into something :lau KiKi "I know there is a nest box in there somewhere .. let me in!" Blondie "I know there is a nest box in there somewhere .. let me in!" :lau "Me? Cranky? Now why would you think that?!" KiKi has a hold of some of Blondie's tail feathers: Not sure who has a hold of who here: You can just see KiKi coming in for the attack from the right:
I know the broody standoff very well. I have 2 x very determined partridge Silkie hens that are determined to hatch something. Last week I picked them up and plonked them down by the feed dish every morning, but to no evail. So yesterday I put them both in a broody box and this morning I will give them exactly what they want, EGGS ! Luckily I managed to collect some Coro eggs before the ' big molt ' began. We have been under a cloud of smoke for days and this morning we are enjoying a much needed light drizzle of rain. Hubby has had to order some irrigation equipment so that we can water some of the paddocks with river water. There's a first time for everything , I guess. :fl for rain.

Hey there chicken-clucky I do not mind you asking.

We are in a no rooster zone here, so any eggs I give them would have to be picked up locally or posted here. That is OK, I have done that in the past .. Blondie, KiKi and Crystal were all hatched here.

Blondie has had a hatch and Cilla has had three.

The main reason though, I am only allowed to have 6 chickens so, if I were to let the girls hatch some bubs, I would have to give them all away. I feel kinda bad bringing chickens into the world that I can not keep and which may end up being eaten by humans or their pets. If I could keep one or two of them, maybe, but seen as I cannot keep any, not going down that path.
Oh that makes sense haha

Hi, It's been a while since I've been on. It's been a very busy Christmas and New Year and then a house inspection and now getting kids ready for school. My chickens are 11 weeks old now, I think, and the four boys have started crowing. My room is down the front of the house so if the windows at the back are closed I don't hear them but I've apologised to the neighbours and the boys are advertised on gumtree. I feel bad because they are so beautiful but I really don't have room for 9 chickens. How hard is it to take a good picture of chickens, though? I did get one a few weeks ago with my son, the 'chick magnet' and the other is last week.

Back
Top Bottom