Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

We have a steel roofing sheets on our coop it was a bird cage originally. My  husband  put another roof over the top with a gap between them so the air can cool the under one and the top layer takes the sun. Its been getting hot hear too now. Though rain today and loving it.

Can anyone help me I put our  5 wk old australorps x 6 and 9 week old silkies x5  and 2 australorps x2 together yesterday.  In the run they were fine and when i put them in their coop  they all huddled together but this morning the bigger australorps kept pushing the little ones away from the food and water. Because we had to go out most of the day I segregated them in the coop. Its going to be 18 degrees tonight so I'm worried it might be to cold for the 5 week olds without the warmth of the big girls.  Should I just put them together and let them sort it out. They don't seem to be hurting them just keeping them in the corner. 
Thanks

I normally hatch under cluckies so I probably won't be much help. But if you're worried about it being too cold tonight bring them in and try again tomorrow. When you do integrate them it may help to try putting food in multiple locations.

Thanks, I wonder whether they'll usually be small then.  I'm not sure whose it is.  I thought Grace is the older one, but she's smaller, maybe it's her..... 

One of the chooks I didn't get escapes from the yard every day, yet she doesn't know how to get back in.... sigh.  I don't know why she can't stay in there and look around.  Oh no, she's got to be on the outside.  Then she looks at her "good sisters" and runs back and forth trying to walk through the fence, and they run back and forth going "come in with us!"

I let the big "mob" out for a wander today because it was raining, Flossie also got out.  She didn't get murdered or attacked or anything, which was good.  

Can somebody with tiny chooks tell me whether they are "boney"?  I can feel the keel on my teeny girls.  They seem normal, they eat, they wander about, they don't seem sickly or anything, just when I pick them up I'm aware of their keels.  They aren't very "padded" in front.(the teeny girls are a d'uccle, pekin and a frizzle/d'uccle cross)

My D'uccles aren't boney and the are POL and one younger.

We have a steel roofing sheets on our coop it was a bird cage originally. My  husband  put another roof over the top with a gap between them so the air can cool the under one and the top layer takes the sun. Its been getting hot hear too now. Though rain today and loving it.

Can anyone help me I put our  5 wk old australorps x 6 and 9 week old silkies x5  and 2 australorps x2 together yesterday.  In the run they were fine and when i put them in their coop  they all huddled together but this morning the bigger australorps kept pushing the little ones away from the food and water. Because we had to go out most of the day I segregated them in the coop. Its going to be 18 degrees tonight so I'm worried it might be to cold for the 5 week olds without the warmth of the big girls.  Should I just put them together and let them sort it out. They don't seem to be hurting them just keeping them in the corner. 
Thanks

It's fine to intergrate chicks of slightly varying age together, but if your australorp are fully grown I wouldn't be adding the youngsters until they were of equal or similar size. It's different if the youngsters are acompanied by a momma hen, at least then they have some protection. Perhaps a petition between the youngsters and older birds within the coop will allow them to get a good look at each other without any blood loss.

Hi Guys!! sorry i've been away so long, so much as been happening here at the horse stud. Hard to find the time to scratch my head, anyway a few mouths ago i lost more than half of my flock in one night i went from 28 chooks to 13. My own dog broke off her chain and killed everything she could get her paws on. Since then we have been working on a new run set up and chain for her. while the run is still under constrution the chickens get to free range on the whole 6 and 3/4 acras :)

My Little "pullet" Baby, turned into a big Rooster By the name of Harry D.

Remaining on the farm is Cina (Gold sebright), Pearl ( Ameraucana) My Two Brahma Girls Hazel and Nanna, Roxann ( playmouth rock) Spencer Reid <3 Speckled Sussex Roo and two of his girls JJ and Penelope, All three Mixed breeds Cat, Essy, and the now harry D and finally my Brown Leghorn Kensi.

PS I now have three Ducks!!!!! QUACKING CUTE

Guys I need some help. I have to ask the age old question hen or roo, regarding my speckled sussex Iris. I also asked in the sussex thread but everyone here replies quicker. Everyone at home this morning but myself, heard Iris make some noise which they think was some feeble attempt at crowing this morning. I adopted her at 12 weeks, she had been sexed but the lady at city chicks said they had had a few 'gender benders' in the past, which is understandable of course. As she grew I had no reason to think otherwise, no early crowing, or comb development. If she is a he I can take him back and he can live out his days there, without ending up in a pot. What do you all think? She is six months old, and very friendly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom