Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Teila ... 

Noticed the little note on one of  your posts, that Chucky still visits every afternoon.  

Have you noticed any change in him/her, like slight colour change or in behaviour ?   Most probably a bit too soon for colour change yet.

Your Chucky has me intrigued.  

Hope " Ming the Mandarine " does well for you.   Wouldn't have a hope down here in chilly Victoria.   

Cheers .......  

Can you not grow citrus down there anni?

I have mandarin growing here, they even have fruit this year. Just like the lemon tree they need to be against a wall. :)

More chicks hatching today . :) I made these feeders up yesterday, cost me $30 for the x2
I found that if I place a feed bowl under it there is no waste.

Thanks Fancychooklady. I shall stress less, ensure she has seen the water, and I would like to try and create more airflow through her box. It's meant to get to 24degrees today so now I'm concerned she may overheat. I wonder if she's as nervous about her first clutch as I am?

I would be at all concerned about overheating at 24c. My hens have hatched at 45c. It's over 35 when you have to start to find cooling options. Most hens don't get nervous about hatching. Some of mine will spend only 5 minutes off the eggs every 3 days to eat drink and poop, and then not move from day 18 until the babies are ready to leave the nest.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

The new build looks good sjturner79, lots of room to hunt and peck
thumbsup.gif

Tee hee satay thank you for the Thor v sensor light chuckle
lau.gif

MullyAly as Fancy has mentioned, a broody hen will often only leave the eggs to poop, eat and drink etc and most do this. However, Cilla did not get that memo and does not get off the nest. I know this because I have tested her. For this reason, when Cilla is brooding, I make sure I take her off the nest twice a day. Putting the food and water within easy reach is a good idea. However, I do not do that as I would prefer my broody’s to have incentive to move. So those that do get off the nest have to do so and go for a little walk to get food and water.

Also, as others have mentioned, I would not be concerned about Grace overheating, 24 is not too bad. I have had broody’s sitting on a hatch in low 30’s. I offer them drinks from a little cup I have while they are on the nest between actual breaks. Most do not bother but Cilla does indulge … I think she secretly likes being waited on
wink.png

Fizzybelle I am pleased to hear that Agnes is on the road to recovery.

Anniebee yep, Chucky is doing well and continues to visit daily. He has taken to sitting in the Mango Tree and singing to me if I have not put the food out early enough
hmm.png
He also gets very close and appears to be listening to me when I talk to him. No sign of the parents since that one time sighting with the Turtle Dove carcass.

His colouring does not appear to have changed but I will get an updated photo over the next few days.

I actually wanted an apple tree but was disappointed to learn that they do not cope well in Brisbane weather, no frosts etc to promote the production of fruit so Ming the Mandarin came to stay instead.

Did you see the plastic wire on top of the soil? I put that there to stop the girls digging him out of his pot and sure enough, I have caught Crystal up there a couple of times and the wire is working in that she can not scratch the soil. She knows she is not allowed up there and when I scald her she jumps down and skulks off
roll.png

Neat feeders Fancy and good luck with the hatch .. looking forward to the pics.

I will probably jinx myself but so far we are still a broody free zone. As mentioned before, Cilla did think about it for a day but appears to have changed her mind. I think the fact that the evenings spent on the roost are still coolish is helping but once they warm up also I doubt I will be broody free for long.

Last edited:

I have mandarin growing here, they even have fruit this year. Just like the lemon tree they need to be against a wall. :)

More chicks hatching today . :) I made these feeders up yesterday, cost me $30 for the x2

Those feeders are awesome. I'm interested to see how your chickens respond to them and if there is anything you would do differently. Will you affix them to the wall?

Those feeders are awesome. I'm interested to see how your chickens respond to them and if there is anything you would do differently. Will you affix them to the wall?

Yes , have attached them to the chicken wire with a simple wire hook. The birds went straight to them. The expensive one that I bought from dina chook has a reducer inside and unfortunately the chooks need to put their head all the way in to feed. The caps mean that at night I can close the possums and rats out. The bowl placed underneath catches any spillage from the over zealous hens.

Great idea for the feed bowl. I hate waste.

Good luck with the hatch. Looking forward to the pics.

Last edited:
Some things to consider when a bird can't support its own weight are calcium to phosphorus ratio and excess protein. A hen should only be getting around 15-16 % once it reaches 24 weeks of age. Excess protein can cause visceral gout , I've had 2 x come to me with gout , the classic symptoms are very large , fat toes and feet. The bird generally becomes unwilling to stand and eventually becomes lame.

I didn't realise that heritage/pure breed could be harmed by too much protein. I knew they didn't need as much as the commercial hybrids.

I've upgraded this year to 17% mixes.

Thank you Fancy ....  so much appreciated. 

I have no idea how to calculate the calcium to phosphorous ratio ... but I only feed  protein ( cooked mince steak and mashed cooked eggs ) when the hens are moulting.   Other than that, it is business as usual in the food department ( except for my mash, which is reduced after moults to NO protein, - but rather  rice, oats, a teaspoon at most  of bran, a spoonful of grated cheese, and heaps of finely chopped up greens - plus ( recently ) the black oil sunflower seeds rather than scratch mix mixed in.  Dried meal worms have been stopped.    All of this mix is shared between 3 chickens.   Have been putting a pinch of paprika on each hens individual bowls,  recently too.    Thing is, Mandy's  been this way for sooo many months, with no obvious signs of any other affliction ???  When standing high and erect on her legs, tail up - she has perfect proportions ... just very BIG.  

I think I will try a multi-vitamin.   It is virtually impossible to separate them ( so's Mandy gets vitamins and Molly  not ) unless I use a dropper with diluted vitamins in it,  a few  times a week for Mandy only.  

I have not as yet up-ended her for a search for bumblefoot - but don't beleve it is that.    She has very big feet but not out of proportion to her size - her claws are not overly long ( for her feet ), and her feet look healthy - the scales are yellowish as they should be, and there are no lumps on them.    Her top beak is slightly longer than Mollys' but then - being a huge bird, it doesn't surprise me ... does not trouble her when eating, including picking up dirt and grit ... and eating the scratch mix they all get a couple of times a week, plus feeding herself on layer pellets, and drinking.  She is so big, it is impossible to feel anything but a very small crop ( if any ) at any time of the day.   Thought at one stage she may have pendulous crop, but having seen on-line, hens with that, she is not afflicted.  ( by comparison, Mindy Araucana has a crop like a hard large golf-ball  at end of day - gone by the morning ).    

I have done a heap of  research on visceral gout since your post, and nothing resonates.   Her urate is white on top of good bowel, but when she was younger, she always loudly squirted large amounts of bowel ( with white urate ) .... softish - when laying.   Into a moult, and her bowel always hardened to what I would call 'excellent poop' from a chicken.   She is currently passing somewhere in between solid and softish - all with good white urate and normal but slightly darker colour ( as they all have since the BOSS ).  

She is one heilluva  complex chook ... and maybe a visit to an avian Vet might be upcoming.   ... however, this evening ( just to make a total liar out of me ) ... there she was, strutting around happily - tail held high, and putting up with the frantic runs that Molly makes up and down the fence, ( when she 'thinks' Mum's mash is on the menu ).   Watched Mandy  for 20 minutes, and she continued to strut around like a young chicken. !!!! :th ... Of course, they are not caged birds ( ugh ) ....  she just 'cages' herself on many occasions ... 

Maybe I am being paranoid and worrying needlessly. ??? :/    ( don't all speak at once please !!  )

Thanks again, and cheers .....

If I remember correctly, you feed barastock. Maybe the protein is too high in it.

Back
Top Bottom