Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks everyone. I am doing ok. Still get upset when I go over the details.

They were very nice looking huskies (for huskies) and obviously cared for.

I had taken Lizzy, my one eyed blue Aussie to the vet. She has an infection (probably from the CRD) in her eye socket. It swell bigger than a large marble. So she is on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. She is also clucky. So I left her locked from the coop and nest when I got home from the vet to get her to eat. Just befor dark I asked my 6yr old to let the other girls out so Lizzy could go to bed. He misunderstood and let them all out - all three pens. It was just before dark so no big deal. Then it start to pour with thunder and lighting. So they all headed for cover.

I waited upstairs for the rain to stop. I'd got drenched moving quails in out of the weather from their temporary accomodation.

It would have been 20-30 minutes and the rain stopped. I went down stairs and the dogs were in the coop eating. I thought why would dogs be eating chicken food. Then it dawned on me what they were eating.

The coop is a steel avairy with a two door safety entry to stop flying birds escaping. I prop the outter door open with a stick when I let them out. In the commotion the dogs must have knocked the stick and shout themselves in. So I locked them in.

From memory, under council local laws I think at the very least they will be declared dangerous dogs - causing a world of pain and expense to the owners. I think if a dog kiills or bites an animal it is destroyed. I just havent had energy to check the law yet.

I will let you know what the council does.

Again thanks everyone. At least it was only one pen they got into and it was me not my small child who walked into it.

Just a question for anyone that has hatched under a duck/chicken I have one that hatched already but there seems to be no hatching happening with the other eggs. Although all 3 were there all at the same time and seem to grow at the same rate except for one which she stole about a week of so later which I am not expecting til probably next week.... do they hatch days apart normally? I really dont want to disturb her as she is being a fantastic mum to duckling number 1.... but as long as she sits on them and hasnt thrown any out do they still have a chance to hatch?

Just a question for anyone that has hatched under a duck/chicken I have one that hatched already but there seems to be no hatching happening with the other eggs. Although all 3 were there all at the same time and seem to grow at the same rate except for one which she stole about a week of so later which I am not expecting til probably next week.... do they hatch days apart normally? I really dont want to disturb her as she is being a fantastic mum to duckling number 1.... but as long as she sits on them and hasnt thrown any out do they still have a chance to hatch?

They still have a chance, but the first one needs mum to take it out for food and water by 72 hours old. It's unlikely for eggs that hatch more than 48 hours apart to survive under a broody.

Last edited:
They still have a chance, but the first one needs mum to take it out for food and water by 72 hours old. It's unlikely for eggs that hatch more than 48 hours apart to survive under a broody.
i will watch for little one eating and drinking within 72 hours. So should I candle to see whats happening? Whats your advice once it hits that 48 hour mark?

i will watch for little one eating and drinking within 72 hours. So should I candle to see whats happening? Whats your advice once it hits that 48 hour mark?

That really depends on what you have. If you candle and they are alive watch for what is happening. Either she will stay on the eggs and the first bub will need help to keep returning to mum as it will wander off, or she will leave the nest with the first bub and the other eggs will need am incuabator.

This one looks like it has internally pipped.

This one i am concerned about I didnt see any movement few that short time I took to candle I am not sure if that is the right shape. Could i put i little whole in the top to check?

That really depends on what you have. If you candle and they are alive watch for what is happening. Either she will stay on the eggs and the first bub will need help to keep returning to mum as it will wander off, or she will leave the nest with the first bub and the other eggs will need am incuabator.

She is sitting there just not sure abut the colour of the airsac in this first pic above post and second looks a weird shape like it has shrink wrapped or something

Thanks to scovies being broody little things the one that was a week younger then the rest I put under the other duck.

She is sitting there just not sure abut the colour of the airsac in this first pic above post and second looks a weird shape like it has shrink wrapped or something

You can either leave it and see what happens, or make a hole to look through. If you make a hole, you will probably have to assist completely as it will usually make it too difficult for them to complete the process themselves.

Back
Top Bottom