Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I'm glad you had lovely weather ours was cold and wet. I want to clean the coop out tomorrow but the girls will need to stay out of the rain. :barnie But I shouldn't complain we need the rain.
I hope everyone a has a great weekend. :)

IMG_2973.JPG
IMG_2975.JPG
I'm glad you had lovely weather ours was cold and wet. I want to clean the coop out tomorrow but the girls will need to stay out of the rain. :barnie But I shouldn't complain we need the rain.
I hope everyone a has a great weekend. :)
We make the most of the sunshine down this way.

One of my silkie chicks has scissor beak, from what I've read some say cull others give it a chance. At 4 weeks its very noticeable, does anyone have any ideas. I've read it only gets worse.

Attachments

• scissor beak.jpg
    scissor beak.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 2
I'm not having a good day. I went to clean the coop out and found some sort of mite. Its really tiny I need my reading glasses to see it. I have malawashed and surface sprayed everything then taken all the wood shaving out surface sprayed again. The nesting boxes are coming out tomorrow I'm replacing them with plastic tubs. I'll put DE, coopex and I'll spray again. I am not doing deep litter anymore so I can sweep every week.
Please can anyone tell me if there's anything else I can do. Oh and I found one of my australorps has scaly leg and there a couple with stick fast fleas again. I'm wondering if this is because I have been sick for a few weeks and not keeping up with my chores that its got this bad. I usually clean everything out really well every school holidays.

Please can anyone tell me if there's anything else I can do.

I would dust the chickens with mite powder. Make sure you dust the powder under their wings. Then dust the poweder in their nesting boxes and the rest of the shavings.

If they got in your underwear, make sure you wash your clothes and bedding and have a good shower. I get itchy bites under my bra near the edges and around the elastic of my panties when the chickens have mites. I’ve only had one bad infestation before I cottoned on to what was going on. Now, I dust them regularly or if I get itchy. I thought I had bad midges in the back yard, the mites have a similar effect on me. They itch like crazy. But it wasn’t midges, it was mites.

Thanks for that. I stripped off in the laundry threw clothes straight in the machine and got in the shower and scrubbed from head to toe. I will go to the pet store tomorrow and see if I can get some powder. I haven't let any one else near the coop and run. I was hoping a hot shower would be enough to get rid of any that had hitched a ride. Thanks again

I will go to the pet store tomorrow and see if I can get some powder.

If you can, find a farm supplies store. It will be a little cheaper. I find that the pet stores, around here anyway, stock expensive stuff in small quantities to cater for small birds like budgies. The farm supplies store will have decent quantities. I’ll get the name of the powder I use tomorrow.

You will know if any hitched a ride. An infestation will manifest in lots of bites. I don’t think they like humans though.

Back
Top Bottom