Australorp babies boy & girl?

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
Hello.

Two of my australorps went broody in their first egg cycle. Since we were not ready for babies we decided to let each of them sit on 4 eggs. One hatched one egg and the other hatched two eggs. I am pretty sure the first is a girl. Of the other two, I think one is a girl and one is a boy; but, being first time chick parents I am not sure.

Of the two one is 14 days old and the other is 17 days old. One already has a noticable tail, the other just the poofy cotton bottom. Wattles and combs are not noticeably different as of yet.

Can any one tell me if I am right, or will have have to wait a few more weeks to see what develops?

Attachments

• 81422-1.jpg
    81422-1.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 81422-2.jpg
    81422-2.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 81422-3.jpg
    81422-3.jpg
    839.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 81422-4.jpg
    81422-4.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 7
Australorp boys put their combs up early, but 2 weeks is early even for them.

You will probably be able to tell at 4 weeks. Maybe 5.
Thank you. BTW...I love blue australorps too. I am looking to get a couple to add to my flock once I get the babies out. Thankfully, I have people who want both the girls and the boys. Then, hopefully I can grow the flock with more blues than blacks.

Hello.

Two of my australorps went broody in their first egg cycle. Since we were not ready for babies we decided to let each of them sit on 4 eggs. One hatched one egg and the other hatched two eggs. I am pretty sure the first is a girl. Of the other two, I think one is a girl and one is a boy; but, being first time chick parents I am not sure.

Of the two one is 14 days old and the other is 17 days old. One already has a noticable tail, the other just the poofy cotton bottom. Wattles and combs are not noticeably different as of yet.

Can any one tell me if I am right, or will have have to wait a few more weeks to see what develops?
Hi all. I’m wondering if anyone has had back experiences with Australorp roosters? Are they aggressive?

Hi all. I’m wondering if anyone has had back experiences with Australorp roosters? Are they aggressive?

I can only answer for one almost-rooster (10.5 months), and half a dozen cockerels.

They've been pretty good boys, so far though they've all been sold before 6 months except one.

It's hard to generalize because individual personality varies within a breed and management matters.

I can only answer for one almost-rooster (10.5 months), and half a dozen cockerels.

They've been pretty good boys, so far though they've all been sold before 6 months except one.

It's hard to generalize because individual personality varies within a breed and management matters.
Agree. I haven’t kept this breed of rooster before. My ISA brown roosters are a little on the cheeky side and they’re only 4 months old so I won’t be keeping them for long. Thanks for your reply 👍

Back
Top Bottom