Australorp beginning to lay?

Our Australorp started laying at 23 weeks. Her eggs are a more pinkish brown than our other chicken.

36893_100_2445.jpg

My BA started laying at 24 weeks old. Her comb & wattles were redder and larger. The width between pelvic bones is definitely a good indication. Also, they start squatting a couple weeks before they lay.

She started in mid-October 2009, and her eggs are a nice peachy-brown. They're also quite large, now that she has been laying for weeks, they're the biggest eggs I get.

Here's a picture of her 8 days after she started laying. That's the closest I have:
127-2763_IMG.JPG

ETA: What Mary said... most consistent layer, without extra light or heat in the darkest days, she lays 2 eggs every 3 days.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I checked her pelvic bones and they are still pretty narrow and although her comb is reddening a little, she obviously is not the one laying. I could just be that someone is laying that hasn't been much since I got them in August. They are March hatch hens, so they should be but we have had some chicken stress around here since we got them. I got two more eggs today and the wind chill has been well below zero, so I am happy I am getting daily eggs even if it is only one or two. Beats nothing.

Once they get started, look out. My grandpa has about 15. They are the best layers he says he's ever had. Selling his RIR and BR and keeping on Australorps for his small egg biz.

Quote:
What? If they were born March '09 they are at least 9 months old, if not a little older. That's much older than 18 weeks (in your OP). Even with stress, I'd expect your BA to look much more mature at 9 months old. That is older than my BA, who hatched at the very end of April.

ETA: I re-read your posts and I think you were talking about your Dark Cornish, not the BA. Nevermind!
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
What? If they were born March '09 they are at least 9 months old, if not a little older. That's much older than 18 weeks (in your OP). Even with stress, I'd expect your BA to look much more mature at 9 months old. That is older than my BA, who hatched at the very end of April.

I think it's her dark cornish hens that are older.

Yes, the Cornish are coming up on a year, the Aussie is just 18-weeks as is my EE roo. I had more, but my big poodle pup went on a frenzy one day and killed ten of the others from that hatch. A very sad day for me. I had a really nice Aussie cock out of that bunch too. I had ordered 5 BAs and got 3 extras as packing peanuts. They were all coming along so nice. I also lost a trio of New Hampshires, a Red Sex-link and a pair of Barred Rocks that day. Now I have orders in for about 15 new breeds and some additions to the ones I have as well. I know a family through our county 4-H that have a beautiful line of BAs that I am hoping to get eggs or chicks from this spring. He has been having troubles with chickens this fall too though. I am getting some Welsummers from sficelandics too in the summer. I am eggcited!!!!!

I don't think it is your BA either. Mine are 22 weeks old now with a lot bigger and more red combs and wattles and still now eggs from mine yet.
hmm.png

My BA's did not start laying until they were around 26-28 weeks. I have 8 and 7 were laying until it got really cold, now only 4 are laying. I am fixing to put them some heat lamps in their coop to help keep them warmer.

Back
Top Bottom