Australorp or Jersey Giant?

One of them, the one with the darker feet is larger than the other chickens except for the brahma. Could they be jerseys? Their feet really aren't that pink.

One of them, the one with the darker feet is larger than the other chickens except for the brahma. Could they be jerseys? Their feet really aren't that pink.
They are not Jersey Giants. The feet are not yellow. And it doesn't really matter if the place you got them was NPIP certified. That has nothing to do with the quality of their stock or their breeding practices, it only means that the birds on the property are free of a few diseases. They likely ordered Jersey Giants from a hatchery, but received Australorps. They probably don't even know that they aren't breeding Giants.
Hatchery Giants do not get very large because they are bred for production. Big birds don't lay as well as smaller birds, so they select for smaller, lighter built birds.
Basically, if you want birds that can be shown beyond the 4-H/Fair type shows, you need to do your research. Find a breeder with references, and a good reputation in the breed.

They won ribbons. They have dark eyes. I heard that jerseys have darker eyes than australorps. Their feet are yellowish. They don't look like the feet of austrlorps that I have seen in pictures. I also read that sometimes hatchery jerseys feet aren't as yellow.

Doesn't really matter that they won ribbons at a fair. I have seen a Barred Rocks entered as Wyandottes and win best of breed at fair shows. Just because a bird wins a ribbon at a fair does not mean it's a show quality example of the breed.
It's Australorps that have darker eyes. You have Australorps. Sorry. But it's true. And hatchery Giants sometimes don't have white feet because they frequently get Australorp chicks confused with Jersey Giant chicks. They do look identical as chicks.

There has to be another way to tell than from just looking at their feet.

Back
Top Bottom