1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

australorp...should i get blue or black?? breed genetics help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Apr 15, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i go this evening to pick up 2 australorp hens to go with my roo (black)

i plan on breeding these but am confused with what i'll get...
    the guy has both blue and black hens.... if i breed black to blue what colours is that going to produce? i love the blue colour but my roo is black, would any babies be blue...or am i wasting my time and should stick to getting black hens?

and apologies if this is in the wrong section, i was unsure whether id get a quick response over on the genetics board....it took 5 days last time to get an answer [​IMG]

2. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    if you got blue you might get 50/50 blue and black offspring but that's just a guess

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you are going to show them, then you are going to want to get Black.

Also, you may want to find out what was in the cross to get the Blue, that way you will have a idea what might pop up in further breading.

Chris

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    no im not wanting to show them, just want some nice australorps running round [​IMG] thought a mixed flock of blue and black might be nice but if breeding a black roo to a blue hen would give nasty coloured chicks id go with all black

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    No, the chicks will be gorgeous if he's worked on his birds.

Blue X Black = 50% Blue chicks, 50% Black chicks

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    well i ended up getting one blue and one black...i'm so happy they are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!! though the blue looks more grey to me...shall stick some photos up shortky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by