Australorps breed Thread

Quote:
I'm sure some is a bit hyped, but Iowa is already over 5 million chickens, Wisconsin is approaching 1 million, and Minnesota is a down a few million turkeys. As far as I know here its mostly large egg producing farms being hit, but apparently there has been one backyard flock that tested positive. And if I'm not mistaken some southern states are also dealing with it now.
th.gif

That is what I understand, too... I've yet to hear about a backard case, though I'm sure they're out there. As TDog77 mentioned prior, it's mostly commercial, which is why there is such a HUGE loss.

Since it can be contracted from wild birds, there's really no control... Just practice good biosecurity, keep your eyeballs on your flock, and separate at the first symptoms if you catch it in time.

Symptoms: http://www.gemplers.com/tech/avianflusigns.htm

MrsB

Quote:

That is what I understand, too... I've yet to hear about a backard case, though I'm sure they're out there. As TDog77 mentioned prior, it's mostly commercial, which is why there is such a HUGE loss.

Since it can be contracted from wild birds, there's really no control... Just practice good biosecurity, keep your eyeballs on your flock, and separate at the first symptoms if you catch it in time.

Symptoms: http://www.gemplers.com/tech/avianflusigns.htm

MrsB

According to the need out here there was a backyard flock that tested positive in Juneau, Wisconsin this past week. The other cases here were all large egg farms.

I'm sure some is a bit hyped, but Iowa is already over 5 million chickens, Wisconsin is approaching 1 million, and Minnesota is a down a few million turkeys. As far as I know here its mostly large egg producing farms being hit, but apparently there has been one backyard flock that tested positive. And if I'm not mistaken some southern states are also dealing with it now.
th.gif

We got hit first because of our warm spring. Back in the day when everyone had chickens this wasn't as big a problem because nobody had very many.

Just had a friend order her first round of duck babies from a hatchery in Iowa... she was too new to backyard poultry to hear about the avian flu at the time.

Turns out, the Iowa hatchery sources their geese and ducks from a hatchery in California (and doesn't mention that to anyone). She was SO relieved.

Here's to hoping this flu season passes without incident.
fl.gif

MrsB

Hadn't heard of this either. So sad, I am assuming that 5 million chickens were all destroyed?

Yes. As far as I've read they say any flock that tests positive it completely destroyed to try and prevent further spread. But at the same time they think it's being spread by wild birds...not really sure how they plan to contain that scenario.

Just had a friend order her first round of duck babies from a hatchery in Iowa... she was too new to backyard poultry to hear about the avian flu at the time.

Turns out, the Iowa hatchery sources their geese and ducks from a hatchery in California (and doesn't mention that to anyone). She was SO relieved.

Here's to hoping this flu season passes without incident.
fl.gif

MrsB
fl.gif
I'm with you there.

BEWARE THE BEARS IF YOU GOT THEM!!!

They are apparently hungry in my neck of the woods. They got me the other night and killed two of my breeders. The bear literally ate thru the side of the wooden coup and killed two of my best breeders who went broody on me. The bear also tried breaking into 2 other coops, but was unsuccessful. DNR was here the next day and gave me a kill order for the next two weeks if the bear endangers my livestock or me and the wife. I do not want to hear any sobbing about the poor hungry bear because I have coexisted with them for 22 years. They leave me alone and I leave them alone. Well all bets are off now!!!.
Kurt

I'm sure that bear will be sorry he messed with your birds. Sorry for the loss of your breeders.

I cannot imagine living where there are bears. I'd never go outside! Lol. I guess you get used to them but still.... Sorry you lost your girls, hope he doesn't come back.

Back
Top Bottom