Australorps breed Thread

Thank you so very much for all your help Kurt! I appreciate it so very much!
lol.png

Ok I have 20 chicks approaching 3 weeks old, and hopefully more BA chicks hatching in the weeks ahead.

A question for those of you that has been through this before. How old are they normally before sexing is a no brainer, and how old are they normally when they get their adult feathers?

Thanks!

Dan

Last edited:
Yes folks, please join us on the CSU thread - a great place to learn about how to judge fowl, with the expert opinions of several judges on pictures you might post. We would love to see some of your birds.

MeanV2,
Dan,
Go to my profile and look at the Australorp pics from this thread. I took pics every two weeks showing development, just for that reason.
You can start to tell in 4 weeks but you have to study them real hard. 6 and 7 weeks makes you pretty sure. The cockerels will have way more comb and waddles than the pullets and bigger and thicker legs as Stan says (the leg man).
Kurt

Ok I have 20 chicks approaching 3 weeks old, and hopefully more BA chicks hatching in the weeks ahead.

A question for those of you that has been through this before. How old are they normally before sexing is a no brainer, and how old are they normally when they get their adult feathers?

Thanks!

Dan
Congrats Dan! Kurts right..you can start to tell around 4 weeks or so..it takes me much longer with the blk oprs because they have a low comb..

MeanV2,
Dan,
Go to my profile and look at the Australorp pics from this thread. I took pics every two weeks showing development, just for that reason.
You can start to tell in 4 weeks but you have to study them real hard. 6 and 7 weeks makes you pretty sure. The cockerels will have way more comb and waddles than the pullets and bigger and thicker legs as Stan says (the leg man).
Kurt
Kurt,
I feel like I have wore your pics out looking at them and I truly appreciate you posting them. I also appreciate the additional info you posted above. It kind of confirms what I was thinking.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom