Australorps breed Thread

My Lorp has crazy eye color- one is darker brown, and the other is solid gray. Weird, I've never seen different eye colors in one chicken before. Another sign that Elphaba is definitely not "breeding quality."

She sounds like a great Hen though!

BAs are one of the few Hatchery sold breeds that maintain their behavior, so even pet Quality birds are great.

Last edited:
My Lorp has crazy eye color- one is darker brown, and the other is solid gray. Weird, I've never seen different eye colors in one chicken before. Another sign that Elphaba is definitely not "breeding quality."
Wondering if the solid gray eye has vision? Or do you mean it is more like when you see people or dogs with one brown eye and one blue eye?

My BA's are not for breeding or showing either as they are hatchery production birds. I really did try but could find no feasible access to anything else. I figured these were better than no BA's. I just hope they both are great egg layers. That is what really matters to me along with them being nice pets. Which they are so far.
love.gif
They seem pretty smart. They remembered from last night going into the hen house for the first time and were ready and willing to enter tonight without trouble. I had to bribe them last night with hulled raw organic sunflower seeds from my fridge. They are the cutest birds the way they chirp and honk.

~Dee~

Wondering if the solid gray eye has vision? Or do you mean it is more like when you see people or dogs with one brown eye and one blue eye? My BA's are not for breeding or showing either as they are hatchery production birds. I really did try but could find no feasible access to anything else. I figured these were better than no BA's. I just hope they both are great egg layers. That is what really matters to me along with them being nice pets. Which they are so far.
love.gif
They seem pretty smart. They remembered from last night going into the hen house for the first time and were ready and willing to enter tonight without trouble. I had to bribe them last night with hulled raw organic sunflower seeds from my fridge. They are the cutest birds the way they chirp and honk. ~Dee~
She would be immediately tossed out of a breeding program for these eyes, but they are so pretty, its part of the reason I picked her!

Quote: OMG! FMG, she is so adorable! She melts my heart she looks so soft and cuddly.
love.gif
I am a major dog lover you must know. Thanks so much for sharing a pic of her pretty eyes. Long ago I had a gorgeous Siberian Husky with blue eyes much like your girl has in the pic. So striking!

It is one reason I fell in love with BA's. They have such wonderful soulful eyes. I was hoping mine would have black eyes but even the dark brown ones they do have are very pretty. I am very happy looking at my BA's everyday as I can't think of a better bird IMHO. They are so awesome.

Give your doggie a love scratch'n from me. Blessings~ ~Dee~

OMG! FMG, she is so adorable! She melts my heart she looks so soft and cuddly.
love.gif
I am a major dog lover you must know. Thanks so much for sharing a pic of her pretty eyes. Long ago I had a gorgeous Siberian Husky with blue eyes much like your girl has in the pic. So striking! It is one reason I fell in love with BA's. They have such wonderful soulful eyes. I was hoping mine would have black eyes but even the dark brown ones they do have are very pretty. I am very happy looking at my BA's everyday as I can't think of a better bird IMHO. They are so awesome. Give your doggie a love scratch'n from me. Blessings~ ~Dee~
I sure will Dee! She's a love bug for sure!

Ross, I appreciate the time & effort you are spending to help us get this done. I know Lynne & Kurt do also!

Dan
G'day,

The Australorp Club of Australia just had their annual general meeting and they have appointed a new merchandise officer, Mrs Joy Howe. All of the books, caps, shirts, etc were shipped to her and she will be distributing them once she has them all sorted out.
Joy's email is [email protected] and I'll drop her a line just to confirm the orders for you guys. Once she gets them we'll get her to post them to me and I'll get Ray Connor to sign them.
For your own interest Ray has also bred Old English Game for decades and there is a huge show on this coming Saturday 13th June for the North Coast National Game Club. Ray will be there for his last game fowl show (remember he is 90) and I'm meeting him for a cup of coffee and a chat. As you all know Ray and I have been friends for many long years. I'll attempt to get a picture done of he and I together and you can see us in the flesh. I have to say we are old fellows and not oil-paintings, but I'll see what I can do.

For those of you interested in purchasing Ray's book on Australorps try this link.http://australorps.com/doc/Merchandise_List.pdf Ray Connor's book is by far the most comprehensive and knowledgeable publication on our breed that I have ever read.

Kind regards,

Ross

Thanks Again Ross! Your generosity is Very much Appreciated!! I am sure Lynne will see this post.

Dan

G'day,

The Australorp Club of Australia just had their annual general meeting and they have appointed a new merchandise officer, Mrs Joy Howe. All of the books, caps, shirts, etc were shipped to her and she will be distributing them once she has them all sorted out.
Joy's email is [email protected] and I'll drop her a line just to confirm the orders for you guys. Once she gets them we'll get her to post them to me and I'll get Ray Connor to sign them.
For your own interest Ray has also bred Old English Game for decades and there is a huge show on this coming Saturday 13th June for the North Coast National Game Club. Ray will be there for his last game fowl show (remember he is 90) and I'm meeting him for a cup of coffee and a chat. As you all know Ray and I have been friends for many long years. I'll attempt to get a picture done of he and I together and you can see us in the flesh. I have to say we are old fellows and not oil-paintings, but I'll see what I can do.

For those of you interested in purchasing Ray's book on Australorps try this link.http://australorps.com/doc/Merchandise_List.pdf Ray Connor's book is by far the most comprehensive and knowledgeable publication on our breed that I have ever read.

Kind regards,

Ross

Thanks Ross..I had emailed [email protected]..maybe that is why we got no reply ..that was the email listed..will write her this afternoon..

My BA roosters make me so upset! I am getting rid of them as fast as I can! I don't understand why they are so mean to my pullets that are 4 months old. And they pick on the hens like they are trying to kill them. My BL rooster does not treat the hens like this! I only have 3 BA roos to go!

Wondering if the solid gray eye has vision? Or do you mean it is more like when you see people or dogs with one brown eye and one blue eye?

My BA's are not for breeding or showing either as they are hatchery production birds. I really did try but could find no feasible access to anything else. I figured these were better than no BA's. I just hope they both are great egg layers. That is what really matters to me along with them being nice pets. Which they are so far.
love.gif
They seem pretty smart. They remembered from last night going into the hen house for the first time and were ready and willing to enter tonight without trouble. I had to bribe them last night with hulled raw organic sunflower seeds from my fridge. They are the cutest birds the way they chirp and honk.

~Dee~

Yes, she just seems to have more brown pigment in one eye. But i agree, as long as she's friendly and she lays eggs.

Back
Top Bottom