Australorps breed Thread

Anyone know why this works ? I understand the red helps them not see red Boo Boos ...but how does it calm them ?

The color of light does different things. White to orange light for 12 or so hours a day keeps the hens laying in the winter. similar light colors help with Rooster fertility.

We react to light color too. For us, day light colors are calming.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has come up with a theory as to why.

The color of light does different things. White to orange light for 12 or so hours a day keeps the hens laying in the winter. similar light colors help with Rooster fertility.

We react to light color too. For us, day light colors are calming.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has come up with a theory as to why.

It's call chromotherapy: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1297510/

Different colors elicit a different emotional response. Many marketing and business professionals use it to encourage you to buy their products. Many alternative medicine doctors use it in their practices to promote healing. I'm not sure how much research has been done on it's use in animals. However, I'm pretty sure a red light would have a different response for humans than it does chickens. ;)

Last edited:
Quick question: Is it normal for the red lights to lose a lot of the red color after a couple weeks of use? I got the Little Giant brand, 250 watt, Red Heat Lamp Bulb.

When the chicks discovered the grass plug I put in there wouldn't hurt them, they had a great time beating it up. LOL! Kept them very busy.

Quick question: Is it normal for the red lights to lose a lot of the red color after a couple weeks of use? I got the Little Giant brand, 250 watt, Red Heat Lamp Bulb.

When the chicks discovered the grass plug I put in there wouldn't hurt them, they had a great time beating it up. LOL! Kept them very busy.

I have never seen that in several years around infra red heat bulbs for pigs, puppies, or chicks. I'd say very low quality bulb.

Dan

I always understood that the red light calmed them down because they could not see as well. With the white light, they never get any rest, kinda like I am when I don't get my afternoon nap.......

That is the same thing I have been told Stan.

On another note, regarding your original BA lines. How much Rooster aggression did you see? Kurt if you read this what have you seen from your Tiger Creek Roos?

Dan

I always understood that the red light calmed them down because they could not see as well. With the white light, they never get any rest, kinda like I am when I don't get my afternoon nap.......
Me, too!
he.gif
All I know is it worked for me...wheee!! Peace and quiet for a change!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom