Australorps breed Thread

G'day Dan,
I know you include yourself, but I reckon you're a little harsh on us. I'm quite proud to be a Wannabe. I don't wanna win best bird in some major show. I find it quite enough work caring for and breeding birds without the stress of having to have them in top condition at a certain time. Plus I like to freerange them which can be a problem. I admire those who do go to the extra effort required to show birds successfully, however. Personally, I just wanna breed the best birds I can 'cause I love the breed!
I agree with you that the loss to the thread of Ross's expertise is regrettable. However steep the postage rates appear to be, it beggars belief how Ross could be deemed responsible for them!
I agree wholeheartedly with your post, groche. I'm a new "wannabe" with 4 BA chicks in the brooder right now, and when I first subscribed to the Black Australorp thread I must admit I was taken aback by all the "high-tech" replies to it, a few of which were rather blunt. But I'm going to stick with my subscription to this thread and have learned a lot...like you, I'm not into all the show-quality, exact coloring, etc., that I read about here. I just want to enjoy raising this breed because I love them.

We all start somewhere with chickens. Many will get hatchery stock, come here and see nice Breeder stock and trade up later. This thread is not a Breeder thread and all of us with Australorps are welcome. When we see nice and encouraging folks with nice Australorps, that will be what Bob Blosl called "Kicking the can" as some move on to showing and improving the Breed.

The first post says this thread is:

Quote:
The last 5 pages have been on topic and Welcome to all of the New people to the thread!

The first post says this thread is:

The last 5 pages have been on topic and Welcome to all of the New people to the thread!

That's fine!! I will move on somewhere else. There was a time when there was a lot of solid info from Good Breeders on here but now it seems to be a lot of ego strokin' Ewwws & Ahhhs! You all keep an eye on them Waddles!! LOL!!

Dan

That's fine!! I will move on somewhere else. There was a time when there was a lot of solid info from Good Breeders on here but now it seems to be a lot of ego strokin' Ewwws & Ahhhs! You all keep an eye on them Waddles!! LOL!!

Dan
Dan!

My point was for you to stay and help kick the can!

This does show a problem we have on BYC where Breeder\show people get frustrated. BYC needs You Here to help the new to Breeding. Even if only 10% get into the "Fancy" then we are winning.

Dan!

My point was for you to stay and help kick the can!

This does show a problem we have on BYC where Breeder\show people get frustrated. BYC needs You Here to help the new to Breeding. Even if only 10% get into the "Fancy" then we are winning.
Is it possible to have two "sections" under Black Australorps? Such as:

BYC Forum > Chicken Breeds > Genetics & Showing > Australorps Breed Thread ..... and
BYC Forum > Chicken Breeds > Breeds > Australorps Breed Thread

That way the purists of this breed can post to the 'Genetics & Showing' thread, and the rest of us wannabe's and/or just lovers of the breed can post to the 'Breeds' thread....I dunno...just thinkin'....
caf.gif

BYC Forum > Chicken Breeds > Genetics & Showing > Australorps Breed Thread ..... and

That way the purists of this breed can post to the 'Genetics & Showing' thread, and the rest of us wannabe's and/or just lovers of the breed can post to the 'Breeds' thread....I dunno...just thinkin'....
caf.gif
thumbsup.gif
That is a great idea!

Dan, please stay. As you mentioned, many of those that were more knowledgeable are not participating now. They may be back later on. Maybe you don't realize how you all inspired me and encouraged me. It took me 9 months to get the stock I have. I got my trio from Matt Ulrich. I have a Kirk Keene hen, Kirk Keene and Dan Castle outbred hen, and rooster. The hens are older, and don't lay often. The eggs show the hens' age, yet I keep plugging away, so I can get the quality stock I need to keep going. This is the first time I've tried hatching eggs, and raising chicks. I could not have gotten to where I am now without the help of the knowledgeable people on here. I have been discouraged many time, yet those of you with experience have encouraged me to keep going, and I have. YOU have been a part of this too.

You learned a lot from the people you mentioned. Please stick around, and pass this knowledge on to those of us that need it. There will be others that will come, and go over time, that will be at your level of knowledge, or that will increase your knowledge base.

I've been criticized for stating that some lines can be sexed by the length of the wing feathers by 1 week of age. I'm sorry if that poster didn't believe me, but I have NEVER been wrong with my birds. I can't vouch for his lines, but I find it possible with the orpingtons I've got too. I only have a couple that I was wondering about, but I ended up being right.

I want quality Orps and Australorps but I'm not planning on showing them around the country. Honestly, even if I could, the biosecurity issue scares me. I'll let my own birds' performance for my self and others be my guide as to who should be bred and who should be culled from breeding.

caf.gif
Everyone is welcome here!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/845018/breeding-for-production-eggs-and-or-meat/550#post_13376825

Back
Top Bottom