Australorps breed Thread

Give it some time but I think the last chick is the Australorp.
Thank you, Ron. Should I repost pics every week or so? It's important to me because I have a special name picked out for the Australorp...Cuz I'm silly like that...
lau.gif

Thank you, Ron. Should I repost pics every week or so? It's important to me because I have a special name picked out for the Australorp...Cuz I'm silly like that...
lau.gif
The biggest difference will be the color of the legs and the color of the soles of the feet at first.

Size will tell you later. The Jersey Giant will get very tall and will weigh more. The orpington will be wider and heavier. The Australorp will be shorter and narrower.

Of course post pictures weekly!

It was in the mid 90's and I had plenty of water out. After her death I checked the rest of my flock. All of them were skinny. I was feeding a mix of both pellet and crumble from TSC and I really think the feed was part of the problem. I have since switched to a different brand of laying pellet and along with my fodder they are putting on weight. One of my hens, a game has gone broody and I am 7.5 days away from a hatch off of "doodles". I had posted in other forums asking about the brooding cycle for hens. I want her to keep going broody but on her own without coercion so I don't have to buy an incubator and my babies have a mama. As I said before, this is all new to me, keeping chickens up. I have always had free range chickens.

Thank you for your concern and patience.

Sorry to hear about your lost bird. I have thought mine looked skinny, too, with watery poo that could be because if the heat. And they were the ones lowest on the pecking order. Are you going to send your lost bird in for a necoprosy. (sp?).
I also free range, but just in my fenced yard. I started feeling their crops at night to make sure they have eaten. I don't have to worry too much about the Australorp as she is pretty piggy, but I figure it is ok to get them used to getting it felt. I've heard of chickens dying of sour crop from eating something to long or thick to get passed into the stomach.
All four of mine are molting too. I read molting is kind of hard on them and some people give canned cat food for the extra protein they need for all the new feathers. They go crazy for it and I can make sure they all get the same amount. Probably just that one can is enough. I can't wait for my Lorpy to get her new green-sheened feathers.

It was in the mid 90's and I had plenty of water out. After her death I checked the rest of my flock. All of them were skinny. I was feeding a mix of both pellet and crumble from TSC and I really think the feed was part of the problem. I have since switched to a different brand of laying pellet and along with my fodder they are putting on weight. One of my hens, a game has gone broody and I am 7.5 days away from a hatch off of "doodles". I had posted in other forums asking about the brooding cycle for hens. I want her to keep going broody but on her own without coercion so I don't have to buy an incubator and my babies have a mama. As I said before, this is all new to me, keeping chickens up. I have always had free range chickens.

Thank you for your concern and patience.

Where you feeding layer ? sometimes a change in feed makes them eat less .
I feed mine a fancy brand as the bag was opened & I got it as a bargain ..they hated it .
Mine are on TSC layer / Sometimes its Purina Layena if it is on sale
My flock would rather eat starter ...it must taste better than layer..
Sounds like the fodder may be helping them also ? What do you fodder ?

Their brooding cycle is about 2 months ..long enough to set on the eggs & raise them to about a month old .
Which is time enough for them to learn all they need to know .
Some hens peck them away at that point ...some Hens allow them to still tag along with them .
a broody hen is better than a incubator ANY DAY & less Stressful ...It lets them do the worrying ..NOT ME

Yeah, I did find a gotten tomato the other day, but there was also a nice one for me that was out of their reach.
My tomatoes are monster huge but hardly setting fruit. I blame the spraying of mosquitoes (b/c of West Nile) and other pesticides that are also killing off the bees. Has anyone else had problems?

Back
Top Bottom