Australorps breed Thread

Yeah, I did find a gotten tomato the other day, but there was also a nice one for me that was out of their reach.
My tomatoes are monster huge but hardly setting fruit. I blame the spraying of mosquitoes (b/c of West Nile) and other pesticides that are also killing off the bees. Has anyone else had problems?

I blame the rain & lack of sun for this last couple of weeks ..Mine are ripening slowly

The biggest difference will be the color of the legs and the color of the soles of the feet at first.

Size will tell you later. The Jersey Giant will get very tall and will weigh more. The orpington will be wider and heavier. The Australorp will be shorter and narrower.

Of course post pictures weekly!
Here they are at 6 days old. To further confuse the issue, I got my chicks & pics mixed up in my original post & actually had no pics of Chick # 5 in it (Those were actually Chick #8
roll.png
).

This is Chick # 5 in the front – Blackest legs & feet, least amount of white on feathers, most ridgey beak - Black Orpington? I'm thinking Orpington because her beak ridges & wing feathers look so much like my 2 older Orpingtons did at this age, she is the same size as they were, and her tail feathers are sprouting at the same rate as the Buff Orpington I received with her (same age):

Chick # 7 – Yellowest Feet bottoms, black beak w/pink tip, whitest shoulders – Australorp? This is not the one you thought may be the Australorp, Ron, but you can see in this pic how much more yellow the bottoms of her feet are getting - the one you thought may be the Australorp has no yellowing on her feet - all pink (her foot is in the back). Chick #7 is on our left as we look at the picture:

Chick # 8 – The one Ron thought may be the Australorp in my original post, her toes & bottom of feet are pink. She is the biggest of the 3 by far, half pink half black beak, on our right in back as we look at the picture - Black Jersey Giant?:

Any thoughts on my guesses? Do I have it right, that the Black Australorp's feet bottoms will turn yellow?

I want to know if I could feed this to my chickens.
Also I want to know what kind of caterpillar it is and if it's a "good" kind that doesn't hurt anything.

It's longer then my pinkie finger and has a horn.
Thanks!

I have found the best way to tell what kind of bird i have is to let them get to full size...the Australorps will get a greenish hint of color...of course the Jersey will be the biggest

I want to know if I could feed this to my chickens.
Also I want to know what kind of caterpillar it is and if it's a "good" kind that doesn't hurt anything.

It's longer then my pinkie finger and has a horn.
Thanks!

That is a bad one.

Horned tomato worm:

It will devastate your tomatoes.

Chickens can eat them.

Last edited:
Here's Dad...And here are their momma's

Hi Adam!

It is nice to have you here.

I like the Rooster, he is handsome and lorpy. A couple of the hens have a very nice curve to them.

Get a copy of the APA Standard of Perfection (get it from their website--It helps support them) and match up the standard. It looks like you may have three or so hens that would be good for breeding.

Last edited:
Here they are at 6 days old. To further confuse the issue, I got my chicks & pics mixed up in my original post & actually had no pics of Chick # 5 in it (Those were actually Chick #8 :rolleyes: ). This is Chick # 5 in the front – Blackest legs & feet, least amount of white on feathers, most ridgey beak - Black Orpington? I'm thinking Orpington because her beak ridges & wing feathers look so much like my 2 older Orpingtons did at this age, she is the same size as they were, and her tail feathers are sprouting at the same rate as the Buff Orpington I received with her (same age): Chick # 7 – Yellowest Feet bottoms, black beak w/pink tip, whitest shoulders – Australorp? This is not the one you thought may be the Australorp, Ron, but you can see in this pic how much more yellow the bottoms of her feet are getting - the one you thought may be the Australorp has no yellowing on her feet - all pink (her foot is in the back). Chick #7 is on our left as we look at the picture: Chick # 8 – The one Ron thought may be the Australorp in my original post, her toes & bottom of feet are pink. She is the biggest of the 3 by far, half pink half black beak, on our right in back as we look at the picture - Black Jersey Giant?: Any thoughts on my guesses? Do I have it right, that the Black Australorp's feet bottoms will turn yellow?
jersey giants have yellow feet

Back
Top Bottom