Australorps breed Thread

I've never heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. If it's true, I stand corrected. :)

If you want eggs, go hatchery. If you want to show your birds or breed for the standard, it's easier to buy from a breeder.

MrsB

Also breeder birds that are breed to sop will take at least 24 weeks to lay. Hatchery birds will start to lay in about 12 or so depending on the breed.
My hatchery Australorp started laying late. At least 24 weeks...maybe later.
I also heard that hatchery Australorps have lighter colored eggs if they have Leghorn mixed in, but mine has dark eggs...even darker then my BSL and RSL. So maybe she doesn't have any Leghorn in her?

I've never heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. If it's true, I stand corrected. :)

If you want eggs, go hatchery. If you want to show your birds or breed for the standard, it's easier to buy from a breeder.

MrsB

My hatchery Australorp started laying late. At least 24 weeks...maybe later.
I also heard that hatchery Australorps have lighter colored eggs if they have Leghorn mixed in, but mine has dark eggs...even darker then my BSL and RSL.    So maybe she doesn't have any Leghorn in her?
very true they may not have Leghorns in them. But it is true they do breed for laying. At first they probably took the best layers then bread them. So on and so forth. Till they got good laying hens. But they over look the sop when they do that. Sop birds don't lay nearly as good as hatchery birds. Production reds will lay almost everyday. We're my show reds only lay around 4 eggs weeks. Again egg laying is breed into them. But u have to sacrifice the sop. U understand what I'm trying to say??

Last edited:
very true they may not have Leghorns in them. But it is true they do breed for laying. At first they probably took the best layers then bread them. So on and so forth. Till they got good laying hens. But they over look the sop when they do that. Sop birds don't lay nearly as good as hatchery birds. Production reds will lay almost everyday. We're my show reds only lay around 4 eggs weeks. Again egg laying is breed into them. But u have to sacrifice the sop. U understand what I'm trying to say??

Yep! You can't have the prettiest bird and top production too.
wink.png

Also breeder birds that are breed to sop will take at least 24 weeks to lay. Hatchery birds will start to lay in about 12 or so depending on the breed.

There's no way... That bird would only be three months old and no where near mature enough to lay an egg. I've got a flock of hatchery 'Lorps, and they are all four months old. No one has laid yet... I expect in the next month or so that will change. I've always known Australorps to be point of lay at five months.

I would be a little worried if a three month old pullet started laying eggs. :/

MrsB

There's no way... That bird would only be three months old and no where near mature enough to lay an egg. I've got a flock of hatchery 'Lorps, and they are all four months old. No one has laid yet... I expect in the next month or so that will change. I've always known Australorps to be point of lay at five months.

I would be a little worried if a three month old pullet started laying eggs. :/

MrsB
Yes 20 weeks almost guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom