Australorps breed Thread

I'm totally jealous of those of you hatching more Australorps!

All of my Australorps are pullets, which means the only way they'll breed is if the Barred Rock cockerel takes an interest in them. Right now I'm not planning on breeding them intentionally...but you never know what the future holds for them.
roll.png
Most of my Aussie girls are friendly, but not really affectionate, except one...Evie. She now follows me around like a puppy and seems to love to be held and snuggled on my lap. The day she actually jumped up on to my lap and settled in for a 10-minute snuggle session was one of my happiest chicken days! She's the only one of the four who will accept so much affection. I'm hoping the other three will start taking taking their cues from her and warm up to me a bit more.

Last edited:
With Blue genetics, you will have blue, splash and black depending on the parentage. I just hatched out a blue--it hatched two days early! The camera batteries are both dead but I will get a picture when I can.
I do not even know where to find anything ,but black. I love this breed. The Black Australorp is where my love of chickens began. The Minorca came second. I want to name our farm Black Bird Farm, but my husband doesn't want the color black on anything. He is a bit race cautious even though I am talking about our first birds.

Its interesting to see some the same age as mine tnmommy. I find it hard to compare normally but seeing them at the age Im used to is a lot easier. I can see that there is definatly a difference in yours to mine, would that be the orpington coming through you mentioned? Or just the difference between the Aussie and US lines Im seeing.

This is our gal at 10 weeks.

Thing other than comb I notice is mine has more of a fat pigeon breast going on :lol: She is also working on her ballet stance :D

There are some differences with Aussie versus American. I like the Aussie standard myself. We have very few working on blues here is the US. I used English Orpington pullets with my black Australorp roo. Big boy is one of those offspring and I think the splash cockerel is as well. The pullet and my other cockerel are from a BBS breeder here in the states. I've got the color and now I'm looking for exhibition quality black Aussies to work that Orpington out of my chicks and correct the conformation issues with the other line.

Last edited:
There are some differences with Aussie versus American. I like the Aussie standard myself. We have very few working on blues here is the US. I used English Orpington pullets with my black Australorp roo. Big boy is one of those offspring and I think the splash cockerel is as well. The pullet and my other cockerel are from a BBS breeder here in the states. I've got the color and now I'm looking for exhibition quality black Aussies to work that Orpington out of my chicks and correct the conformation issues with the other line.
I love what you are doing. Best wishes!

Quote:
images
These birds are striking .Do you have any pics of yours ?
I cant see a problem with the name your birds are black ...I actually thought of a crow or a Blackbird when you 1st mentioned the name .
But if it bothers him try another name
What about being more Specific ?
Aussie Minorca Farm ...or Aussie Minorca Bird Farm .or Aussie B Minorca Farm <- I like this one ...anyone who knows the breeds will automatically think black A. Black M.

Here are some of my babies at about 8-9 weeks. We've got some Orpington to breed out, some are from my Blue Orp/Aussie mix. A few are from another fellow in TN, he could not remember exactly where he got the foundation stock and didn't know that blue Aussies are that rare. I think they are out of Taylor farms old line, but of course can't be sure. I have one older blue pullet from that same farm, her comb is horrible. Love her color, got to consider the comb, though, when thinking about breeding. Got 3 cockerels and one pullet growing out. The little splash is an Isbar, a few Olive Eggers behind big boy. He is beautiful and very calm. The blue pullet to the far left is gorgeous too.
Gorgeous birds! :D I'm also doing a light-to-moderate comb genetics "experiment" to see if I can correct an S curve.
Its interesting to see some the same age as mine tnmommy. I find it hard to compare normally but seeing them at the age Im used to is a lot easier. I can see that there is definatly a difference in yours to mine, would that be the orpington coming through you mentioned? Or just the difference between the Aussie and US lines Im seeing. This is our gal at 10 weeks.
Thing other than comb I notice is mine has more of a fat pigeon breast going on :lol: She is also working on her ballet stance :D
Sweet little mama. ♡ She points well. ;) MrsB

Back
Top Bottom