Australorps breed Thread

All of a sudden one of my Aussie hybrids is getting very red in the face while her sisters remain pale. With her physical changes there appears to be a change occurring in their pecking order as well as in her behaviors. She's suddenly much more friendly with me and much more assertive with the rest of the flock. And her feathers are FINALLY beginning to get that lovely green iridescence (though it didn't show up in the photo). It's really quite fascinating to watch.

She's so pretty!

All of a sudden one of my Aussie hybrids is getting very red in the face while her sisters remain pale. With her physical changes there appears to be a change occurring in their pecking order as well as in her behaviors. She's suddenly much more friendly with me and much more assertive with the rest of the flock. And her feathers are FINALLY beginning to get that lovely green iridescence (though it didn't show up in the photo). It's really quite fascinating to watch.

She looks like she has a little more growing to do body - wise
You dont have a Roo right ? As my Roo less hens became more friendly to me about laying time ..
showing squatting behavior ..in preparation for mating ...does she shake herself after you pick her up ?
Hens do that after being mated ...by a roo

She looks like she has a little more growing to do body - wise
You dont have a Roo right ? As my Roo less hens became more friendly to me about laying time ..
showing squatting behavior ..in preparation for mating ...does she shake herself after you pick her up ?
Hens do that after being mated ...by a roo

No Aussie roos, but she's around a Barred Rock cockerel and two Silkie cockerels. And yes, she and her sisters all shake themselves off after I pick them up. It cracks me up every time.
smile.png

She's only 15 weeks old. I'm really looking forward to that first egg.

Last edited:
I shot a video of my New Years Day hatch. I have Blue Black Splash Australorps and Trader Joes chicks hatched from their fertile eggs. Roosters were a bit upset because I was pestering the babies:

vimeo_logo.png

Back
Top Bottom