Australorps breed Thread

They squak when I pick them up (maybe they just don't like being handled because they're new and nervous?) but they will eat out of my hand and seem pretty calm (as calm as a chicken can be when it's thrown into a coop of an established flock). I guess I'll just have to wait and see how they'll turn out but I am thinking about picking the one that matures the earliest. I did that with my dominiques and my dom rolster is awesome.

They squak when I pick them up (maybe they just don't like being handled because they're new and nervous?) but they will eat out of my hand and seem pretty calm (as calm as a chicken can be when it's thrown into a coop of an established flock). I guess I'll just have to wait and see how they'll turn out but I am thinking about picking the one that matures the earliest. I did that with my dominiques and my dom rolster is awesome.
Ive found Roosters sqawk more as they get older ...if you try to pick them up ..
as they dont like being picked up ...as they mature ..I Guy thing I think ..
It may be they just need to know you more ..

Betty is just the sweetest. I can tell she has grown a lot, but comparing this pic to her day old pic, she still seems so small! Are Aussies on the slower side for maturing?

1 week old here: (taken today)

And when we got her home at 3 days old....

Hello!, I have 3 Black Australorp Hens and 1 Black Australorp Rooster. Al hatchery stock so I'm not sure how good of quality they are, but the lay well and the Rooster is very gorgeous and sweet.

Betty is just the sweetest. I can tell she has grown a lot, but comparing this pic to her day old pic, she still seems so small! Are Aussies on the slower side for maturing?

1 week old here: (taken today)

And when we got her home at 3 days old....
She has grown ...look at the difference in her wings..her angel wings have grown out

Hey guys I have three young 'lorp cockerels almost 3 months old and I was wondering what are good qualities (physical, behavioral, and temperament wise) that I should look for in choosing a good australorp rooster? The cockerel of my choice will eventually be in a flock of dominique hens. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hey guys I have three young 'lorp cockerels almost 3 months old and I was wondering what are good qualities (physical, behavioral, and temperament wise) that I should look for in choosing a good australorp rooster? The cockerel of my choice will eventually be in a flock of dominique hens. Thanks!!

Biggest for me is a friendly rooster to both me and my hens. I have a BA rooster that has surprisingly become aggressive to his hens and has tried to spur me only when feeding. He never makes contact but he still charges. It's only when I try to feed them. He has 23 BA hens. My rooster will not be around long since he's been aggressive to his hens lately.

I understand, noone wants an aggressive bird. How should he behave? What kind of physical traits should he have? How should be behave towards his hens?

Back
Top Bottom