Australorps breed Thread

Lot, you said "Out of 24 eggs that I set only 3 hatched and although I candled the eggs to notice many more developing chicks it seems that half of the 24 were not fertile and many stopped developing past day 7 of incubation."

An egg that begins to develop chicks, even if development stops, IS fertile. It sound like your birds are still a bit too young to get any good results with hatching, and doubtful you will get your best quality chicks. Give it more time.

I'm getting my first Australorp in April
wee.gif

they are sweet you will love them

Have a question:
We have many girls (response above) and 6 are Australorps:)
Several days ago they were getting pecked very badly. So bad I pulled them out to our puppy cage, bedding feed and waterer, even scratch. They have laid for past 2 days in cage.
Our issue is they are pecking at each other, doing more damage than letting them heal.
Been putting on purple No peck lotion and blue hen healer 2x a day.
Only thing to do is get 2 smaller cages and separate them so they fully heal. Hubby doesn't want me to put the red lamp above them even though I'd think that would help. I believe we will put in coop to deter bad Girls from pecking more.
Before the end of all this, every girl will have the blinders/ peepers.
Do these work?
What to do to prevent peckers from going after others?
Will splitting up the 2 injured into separate 'ICU' help?
When and how do we transition back together with flock? As of right now, still open wounds so that won't happen soon.
Is there better wound care/ anti pecking available? I'd like a spray no peck.
Thankso Australorp folks!

Do they have a run or free range ?
They could be bored or dont have enough space .or need more protein
How much space do you have to how many hens ?
you could try hanging things for them like treats ..Cabbage , apples , etc for them to have something to do .
what are you feeding them ? if they lack protein they can feather peck more

ma,  Are they a bit overcrowded?  You can use Neosporin [COLOR=FF0000]WITHOUT PAIN RELIEF[/COLOR] (any of the -"cain" family of pain relief will kill them) for the open wounds.  I tend to put a couple bails of hay in my coops for the younger ones to get away, and hide from the older ones.  I also make sure there are at least 2 feeders, and waterers that are not close together, because the older ones, or those higher in pecking order tend to guard the water, and food sources.  By putting 2 sources, far enough apart, they can't guard both at once, and the younger ones can grab some food, and water. 
there is plenty of space for roaming. These 2 australorps are in separate dog crates now so they heal faster. Good idea about niosponrin and I like ideas about multiple feeders/waters and the extra hay bale. Than you so much

ma, since they have plenty of space, and you are about to improve their habitat, you might want to consider getting some cheap cans of cat food, and treating all of them to it for a few days. Like Gramma mentioned, they may need a little boost in protein. She's a wise bird, and knows her stuff. When I boost protein with cat food, I figure a small can of Friskies per 4 - 5 chickens daily at first for 3 days, then I cut it back to 2 - 3 times a week, until they no longer need the extra protein.

Do they have a run or free range ? 
They could be bored or dont have enough space .or need more protein
How much space do you have to how many hens ?
you could try hanging things for them like treats ..Cabbage , apples , etc for them to have something to do .
 what are you feeding them ? if they lack protein they can feather peck more
oops forgot to answer, they have a run. Love apples corn broccoli cauliflower in their treat bin, tried cabbage, didn't like to much:/ trying everything extra to keep them happy and not bored. Definately trying new hanging treats. Switched feed to 27% feed from hatchery, will keep them on this till spring when time changes back. Thx again

ma, since they have plenty of space, and you are about to improve their habitat, you might want to consider getting some cheap cans of cat food, and treating all of them to it for a few days.  Like Gramma mentioned, they may need a little boost in protein.  She's a wise bird, and knows her stuff.  When I boost protein with cat food, I figure a small can of Friskies per 4 - 5 chickens daily at first for 3 days, then I cut it back to 2 - 3 times a week, until they no longer need the extra protein.
interesting about the cat food, I thought it was bad for them? I can give it a try, they love most new things other than cabbage:(

Curious how you all handle the broody hen bit when all the chickens look alike! I locked up my broody Aussie yesterday morning much to her disgust, then stood back and had another look and decided I'd locked up the wrong one, and that one was just trying to lay an egg
1f644.png
Had to let her out again and go grab the other black chook
1f60b.png
Luckily I can tell my two apart most of the time (the kids think I'm nuts when I say blacky is the one with the more girly face lol) How on earth do you tell who is who when you have half a dozen black chooks!

interesting about the cat food, I thought it was bad for them? I can give it a try, they love most new things other than cabbage:(

Lots of people give it, they particularly like the fish ones apparently. Just read the contents well, was a show on Tele that highlighted that the contents of the chicken and meat cat foods of this one brand were identical right down to both being chicken
1f633.png
So gourmet chicken and vegetables and delicious meat and gravy was the same cat food in different cans
1f602.png

I just up protien with scrambled eggs cause I hate the smell of cat food
1f637.png

Just make sure you keep them within view in the main run in their cages and I'd also try letting them out to sleep with everyone else if you can. Separating can be a short term solution as if they are out of site they will get attacked twice as much (they will be seen as new birds to the flock) when you try and put them back a week later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom