Australorps breed Thread

Quote:
Cant wait to see your pics!

Boy we would LOVE to get some of your Australorps over here.. Lots of these breeds fell out of favor over here in favor of the production breeds like RIRs so the breeds like this fell by the way-side, and now we are trying hard to catch up to you..

I think we need to put some high quality black buff orps back into the breed and we are working on it...here a long time ago they added leghorn and streached them out a bit and better disease resistance but it changed the look...so we who love the breed are trying to get back to a program like australias. I think there are some fantastic birds from the official austrsalian site national champs .

This has been the biggest complaint , we cant find birds like yours so we are trying like mad to get to that level...wish you could send us some hatching eggs, I know that would be on a wing and a prayer but we can wish cant we?

The big tails are a real problem, again I think its a throw back to the leghorn that was added long time ago and hard to get rid of, but I do think adding great black orps we could correct a lot of it and that streached out look. I try also to stay with the round dark eye.
ans away from the light colored smaller eye, its tough to say the least. lots of things to fix...

Hey any suggestions you have I would love to hear to deal with this.. a long time ago shipping birds wasnt a big deal, now its like a big root canal to even think about it. The whitneys from bath NY have the east coast champoins and they have the 2 schools of thought the larger buff types and the modern leghorn type and they are working them together but even they are struggleing..I have some coming from oaklahoma that are supposedly more typey. pastor romig from Pa. is picking them up for me...he said this was a lone breeder family that worked on them throughout the time they and others that fell out of favor..so We will see. they should be back today sometime.

35675_john_cabin_pics_277.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a pair of double duty broodies a little sebright has made it her task to help hatch some australorps eggs...only 2 aussie eggs will fit under her...she is just a pet sebright and has really beaten the poor australorp surrogate broody for those eggs and if the australorp leaves the nest she trys to take all the eggs and its quite a sight, I have to play referee and take eggs back for the austraslorps. breakfast is served. hee hee

35675_john_cabin_pics_286.jpg

another surroage broody, these are my husbands egg layers, he is working on a record egg layer but they arnt the nicest looking birds they sure crank out the eggs all winter with no artificial lighting

35675_john_cabin_pics_287.jpg

Here is a broody that hatched 2 eggs sadly one passed right away the other is very robust, again she is a surroget mom.
and its very cold here right now supposed to be in the 60s and 70s and it was in the 20s last night so I have it all covered up.

35675_john_cabin_pics_289.jpg

This is the actual mom. she has a different look than my husbands , she came from the show breeder.
35675_john_cabin_pics_277.jpg

Last edited:
Just got my first Australorps. Four 3 months olds. I also have Six 6 month old Barred Rock Bantams. First Day and they seem to be playing nicely together. I read alot on the Australorps and I am looking forward to watching them Grow.

I dont think you will be sorry , they are an all around nice bird, good mommy, freindly, easy to work with come running full waddle when you call...loads of nice quality eggs ect...ect...

I got two BA hens over the winter and liked them so much I ordered 25 more. LOL. Would love to see pics of the "Real Deal" from Down Under. Before I knew about breeders vs. hatcheries I had already placed my order with Murray McMurray, so I have no idea if any of my girls measure up to even the American Standard. I would only like to breed birds that come closer to this, although, in terms of productivity and personality, I wouldn't change a thing. These birds are mellow sweet hearts that still come up to roost on my knee after being manhandled by two young children. LOL. My avatar is the BA chicks that I ordered. I had no idea they came in other colors, that is so cool!!

LOL, okay, obviously I have changed my avatar..

Last edited:
will i have one Blue Australorp egg piped. it may be a blue , a black , a splash or a 1:4 change of being a Lavender. ohh be a Blue or a Lavender
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
: f l
fl.gif
fl.gif

What beautiful birds you all have!

Our first Australorp chicks arrived on Tuesday. They came with a few of other breeds but the Australorps are the friendliest in the brooder, already! I have read mixed ages on when they normally begin laying. What have your experiences been? With chicks that were hatched in May will they lay this year or wait until next spring? I do plan to have lights on in the coop this winter.

Quote:
Yep Youri, they are very different. This is the hen I had when I lived in Australia. Loved her, she was a great layer, a good broody and a BIG bird.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn270/coopslave/chooks/100_0474-1.jpg

hey i remember that photo
frow.gif

here are a few photos of my bantam australorps,
43041_dsc07127.jpg

43041_dsc07135.jpg

43041_dsc07078.jpg

43041_dsc07079.jpg

ATM i'm not interested in them as a show bird but i still love them as a breed, i think they are great for backyards, i am going to get some of the commercial line, there still pure bred but are better layers and dont go broody as much.

regards

youri. ( from australia)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom