Australorps breed Thread

I have five 19 week old Pullets and four of them have combs and wattles like the one on the left in the bottom picture.

Looks like a roo--looks like saddle feathers at the back which the pullet on the right does not have.

I would wait a couple of weeks though--he should start crowing by then.

Ron

Ron - Thank you for the weigh in. I'll try to be patient!!! These next few weeks are going to be tough!!!​

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>
Hi Again,

I just found information on BA's and Gender:

• Examine the blade of the comb which is the lobe-like area at the rear of the comb. Roosters have rounded blades nearly half the length of the comb. Female Australorp chickens have combs that only cover two-thirds of the head and end in a sharp point.
• Check the red waddle of the bird. The Australorp rooster has a waddle that is longer than it is wide. The Australorp hen has a waddle that is wider, or as wide as, it is long.
• Examine the neck plumage of the chicken. Males Australorps have pointy neck plumage that cascades over the shoulder and down to the beginning of the wing. Female neck plumage reaches the shoulder and is rounded.
• Observe the tail of the chicken. The tail feathers of male Australorp chickens cascade in a soft rounded waterfall effect. Australorp hens have blunt, short tail feathers.
• Listen to the birds. The roosters will crow while the hens do not.

Your chicken could still be Pullet. I would wait until you either hear a crow or get an egg.

Good Luck!

Ron

Ron - Thank you! Thank you! I so appreciate the information posted on this site. Everyone is so knowledgeable and you all have the ability to find information that I just can't seem to find! I'll keep my fingers crossed that she lays an egg before she crows!!!!

Please help me...

I got 3 BA (supposedly) straight run chicks a while back. Turns out there were 2 roos and a pullet.

They are obviously crossed with something, any guesses?

Handsome fella
90453_dscf0946.jpg

My colorful roo...
90453_dscf0965.jpg

All 3 BA's
90453_dscf0968.jpg

Something with a yellow leg, I'm thinking New Hampshire maybe or RIR. Not sure what other breeds may fit the bill in the US, so think about yellow legged red/browns.

Hi,

I took a picture today of six of my chickens eating scratch grains. My five BA's are 19 weeks old. The Golden Comet in the picture is about 30 weeks old. She layed a 3.5 ounce egg today! It looked like a Duck egg.

Here is the picture:
84712_chicken_19_weeksopt.jpg

One should lay her first egg any day. Three others are probably a week or so away and one hasn't started growing the waddles yet.

Ron

We think these are Australorps hey are nice calm birds here are some pics. We didn't buy them as sq but would like to know what you all think.
here is the pullet

here are some of the roo

Thansk John

Here are some pics of my black australorps 4 at 19 weeks 2 roos and 2 pullets and 4 pullets at 17 weeks old
61782_my_chickens_020.jpg

61782_my_chickens_021.jpg

this one is a cross with ba roo and barred rock hen. she is beautiful
61782_my_chickens_017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom