Australorps breed Thread

i just went throu exact same thing..exceptionally yellow feet on chicks..when i hatch mine they come right out of shell with pinkish white feet sometimes a few freckles...these were yellow so gave them all away...the kids i gave them to told me last week the foot soles had turned quite light..not sure what was going on there..
The yellow to pinkish feet don't necessarily make them jersey giants. The color of the feet can change to the correct color. It is also not standard of perfection but not a breed determinant.

If they are Jersey Giants, they will be much bigger than australorps at a year old, by up to several pounds. They also wont have the Australorp shape.

At least one of them has the curvy shape so I lean toward BAs.

One of the might be a cockerel though.

Ron

Aveca, re your pics, I reckon I can see your birds getting better and better. The hen seems nice and broad, but it's hard to really tell with her sitting down. Like the last pic of the roo, but if you just looked at the previous pic, you could pick conformation/carriage issues. Either the buggers won't stand still or they refuse to adopt that perfect pose that shows them to advantage! No wonder the exhibition freaks spend so much time on training for this for the shows. Cheers Geoff from Aus
oh..i know, we are no where in the ballfeild of your birds..we just keep pokin and hopin..rooster mad, hens on 1 side of the fence, hes on the other..i have a few better pics and i could take a picture of a world champion and butcher it..that hen is so broody right now..the chick looks lot like her..nice width undernesth..kind of interesting to see how he feathers out..hes a bit of a biter lije his father too..that rooster wont bother you 1 bit if hes out in the yard with the hens , but go in to powder him or do anything to him and hes a meanie..

Tend to agree with Fuzzybutts, Aveca. It would want to be real good in other areas to warrant breeding his temperament. Aussie roos don't have a rep. for violence. Can get occasional rogues of course! My Derrick is quite bloody timid. I wouldn't mind just a touch more fire!
Cheers Geoff from Aus

i know..im kind of tired batteling it ..might just give it up..thanks fuzzybutts..even if had a different rooster, still only have one good aging hen..cant beleive it took me this many years of searching. isnt it funny you search for 20 years, put out ads, go look at hundreds of dead ends and hatchery birds, just when your throwing in the towel..in walks stans great birds..my freind in arizona been through the same trials with it..paid a good sum for birds, supposed to be good, they hatch out with about 17 comb points....in person this rooster a good looking bird, he wont bother you unless you bother him..the npip inspector said, lynne grab his head as he drew blood on her, then grab his feet, he was trying to spur her, i only have 2 hands and hes real big bird im just trying to hold him up..the big orpingtons were a snap to do..he was horrid..

Groche your birds look fantastic. Great tails on your two new girls. So many here have not yet developed their lines with better or near perfect tails like the 2 you shown pics of last week.
This is my first year with Australorps. I have two reject hens from one of our local areas better Aussie breeders. I matched them up sith this male. I have no great expectations. I hatched out between 10 and 15 birds. The girls are still laying time will tell how well this blend of totally different backrounds will work out.
My boy.

Last edited:
Hi lildinkem,
he's not a bad lookin' roo. Head is ok and I really like that he has pretty much the right tail, which seems a problem over there. His bottom half is not quite so good as his 'skirt' should cover a bit more of his fluffy thighs so he looks a bit better balanced. Don't worry about the different bloodlines, what's more important is that you choose hens which compensate for his weaknesses. In this case use girls with especially long skirts. That's what I'm told here anyway! Hope it helps. Enjoy these great birds!
Cheers Geoff from Aus

oh, ive told bill about a hundred times he could ace some aussie classes over here..he wont listen thou..its all billy bob joe sams breeding birds this or that..then he will magically pull the fugliest bird he has in his barn and go show it at crossroads..i try to talk to him about these things but billy bob joe sam whoever what birds come up as the subject..hes got birds that can hold their own anyplace, he just needs to quit focusing on wasting time on the internet and get those birds conditioned..im gonna drive out there and do it for him pretty soon and put a moratorium on cyber chicken bullying..he frustrates me with some of the great birds he has too much time worrying about other people and their chickens..he gonna give billy bob joe sams birds a good bath this year so they win like they should be....and he taking the good ones this time..ill keep talkin but he wont listen..every year i think im going to see him come home with some nice aussie awards..

Last edited:

Thought I'd give you an enlargement of 'my' avatar. As it made the cover of our new Standards, it is generally regarded here as close to the perfect roo. Some breeds are not even illustrated in the new standards as good examples were not found and they won't put in pics of substandard birds.
Enjoy Geoff from Aus

Back
Top Bottom