australorps legs hurt

minksroost

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Richmond, Virginia
We recently purchased an australorp pullet, approx 30wks. She's already a good size girl. Her first home wasn't as plush as her new surroundings so she has more room to move and the roosts are higher than what she was accustomed to. We have a ladder to the first roost and then they can hop to the higher one about another 12in. Appears she didn't know anything about the ladder or how to navigate. She didn't really use the ladder to get out if the coop either, just jumped up as high as she could to get in and would do the same going out with only taking a few steps before jumping down to the ground. So, I was in the coop the other night when they were all coming in for the night. She stood on the floor and kept looking at the others on the roost and paced trying to figure out how to get up there. I tried showing her the ladder but no luck. She then tried to fly up to the dropping board didn't make it and fell to the floor, approx 3 ft. I believe it to be the second time she has fell although I didn't witness it but was outside when she fell the first time. Bottom line here, after the second fall she hasn't been able to walk without wobbling and will then lay down. I put her in a crate 2 days ago so she could rest. First I'm worried of course about any extensive injury but now blaming myself for thinking her breed was able to roost high. Does anyone know if australorps typically roost lower. And is keeping her confined the best approach to her leg injury. Our highest roost is about 5 ft. I should also mention we have a vinyl floor, which is great for cleaning but I have noticed they slip around on it. Any help, guidance on roost height and her leg injury would be most appreciated.

That's awfully high for a large chicken, particularly if they don't have several feet of sideways space to fly down. You are right that if they are slipping around on the floor, that is also a problem for them. Lots of people have vinyl floors (I don't, I have dirt) so maybe they use more litter. My roosts are 30" high (walk in coup) and they use most of the 6' or so that is next to the roost to fly down. I have a couple of older hatchery Australorps who are pretty good size.

Try to feel around to see if you think there is a fracture, and wrap the leg with vet wrap if you find one, to stabilize it. Be careful that the foot still has good circulation; you'll have to recheck this often. And you are right that rest where she can't re-injure herself is a very good idea. Hopefully it is only a sprain or pulled muscle or the like, and it will resolve in time. It could take a few weeks. If she won't use the ladder, you might re-think your roost height, or perhaps try a ramp.

I should have said ramp, with rungs built on for grip. We added a much lower roost in the far corner behind where I"m taking the picture I've attached. It's about 12in. then about 10 in up from that is another then another 10in or so up from that is another. We only have 6 chickens - so it;s sort of funny that we have so much roost space. But maybe we'll get 2 more but they are pets so it was never my intention to have a lot. I would probably re-do that wall if I had to do it all over again. Anyway - on with the problem. They do have room to fly down but it's the vinyl flooring that makes them slip. Actually I don't see them slip when they fly down only when they run around a little in the coop. But they don't spend a lot of time in there unless it's bad weather. I also keep more shavings on the floor in winter. As it's finally beginning to warm up I've moved it out, given a through cleaning, etc. We are thinking about moving the top roost down a bit today. Possible all of it, including the dropping board. But I still don't think that will help her. So you good size Aussies have not problem getting up on a 30in roost? Do they hop up?

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable wrapping her legs. I'd be afraid that I would put it on too tight. I would most likely put in on too loose and it wouldn't help her at all. I have picked her up and looked at her legs and felt but just don't see any outward sign or feel. I will most likely take her to the vet on Monday if I don't see a noticeable improvement. I brought her outside today since it's so nice in another crate and she is enjoying the sunshine. She will lay down and eat. But she will get up to poop and trys to walk around a bit but will sit right back down.

How can I tell about the feet having good circulation?

I love your quote - flockwatcher. I was saying to myself this morning how much I've read about chickens being low maintenance. All you have to do is spend 10 min in the morning and 10 min in the evening. I laughed and thought - I can't seem to get away from the coop. I love being with my chickens. My house hasn't had a good cleaning in months. Yes, regular cleaning but I was a neat freak.. guess that was one way to rid myself of house cleaning OCD.. :)

Back
Top Bottom