Auto coop door

I have had an automatic door for almost 3 years after 22 years without one. Only had about 3 times that it locked chickens out. I check it every night, so the comments about not checking are not applicable. I bought it because I go away about 10 times a year & previously they were left open the whole 2-4 days I was away. Love the auto door. Don't know what door the OP actually has. Mine is the Advanced Automatic Chicken Door from Fleming with a homemade plywood door weighing about 4 pounds. It does close slowly & I am baffled as to how a hen would allow herself to be caught under it. Must have been a freak accident. Sorry for your loss!

I did lose this bird. My entire flock was in. We have had a predator take out 6 guinea hens in one night last year.

Thank you all for your leavity and those that showed concern. We have an exterior light hoping to prevent predators and currently have a red heat lamp in the coop because of temps. Can the extra light be a problem.

I am asking for advice so this won't happen again, not for a discussion on the merits of auto door use. If you are against automation of flock tasks, please make sure you only feed by the handful and water using individual serving sizes, one bird at a time. But if you use large waterer and feeders that hold large quantities of food then you are automating your tasks. Doors keep flocks safe. I automated the task of opening and closing the door. I also have an auto waterer that supplies constant water without refilling and feeders that hold 200 lbs of food that I only have to fill weekly,

An update on my automatic door. It is by far one of the three best additions to my flock housing. The other two being my watering system and my feeders.

Since my one problem in the beginning I have had no additional issues. I have had a few birds out after hours, but they seem to just be out parting late and then decide to sleep it off in the bushes. We pick them up and put them in the coop.

Could you possibly hang a small ball or strips of material from the bottom of the door so that the ball or material actually comes in contact with a rogue chicken before the actual door?

That is a great idea actually. Maybe some hippie brads or fake grass attached to the bottom of the door.

It was only a one time thing though.

Is the bottom of the door at head height by any chance? If it is, make a flat platform outside the door, then they won't pop their heads in unless the door is open.
My chicken door is at head height when they are out in the run, they just jump up but a lot of the time, they will stick their head through the bottom of the door.
I suspect if I even automated my door, I'd have casualties without further modifications.

I did lose this bird. My entire flock was in. We have had a predator take out 6 guinea hens in one night last year.

Thank you all for your leavity and those that showed concern. We have an exterior light hoping to prevent predators and currently have a red heat lamp in the coop because of temps. Can the extra light be a problem.

I am asking for advice so this won't happen again, not for a discussion on the merits of auto door use. If you are against automation of flock tasks, please make sure you only feed by the handful and water using individual serving sizes, one bird at a time. But if you use large waterer and feeders that hold large quantities of food then you are automating your tasks. Doors keep flocks safe. I automated the task of opening and closing the door. I also have an auto waterer that supplies constant water without refilling and feeders that hold 200 lbs of food that I only have to fill weekly,

Sorry you lost your hen. Your problem may be the light you have on both inside and outside your coop. I have an automatic door as well. My chickens are all inside and up on the roost as it gets dark well before the door closes. With you having a light on both inside and outside the coop it keeps them more active and may have them coming in and going out of the coop even after dark.

Back
Top Bottom