automated reefer coop questions

DeepB

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2020
Hello,

Two things first:
I had another thread here, however I feel that the new questions are very different and warrant a new thread. If you see that differently I want to apologize in advance.
Second, english is not my native language, so if I make something not clear enough (or use wrong words) please do not hesitate to ask.
Also I am aware that some of the things might be overkill, however if it saves me a minute a day it is worth it most of the time.

Now first my current situation:
  • I would like chicken to have own eggs.
  • I have access to a meadow of about 3000m^3 (I think about 0,7 acres). However there is no guarantee for how long I can use it. So the coop might be there for 10 years, or one before I need to move. So no fixed things. There is enough asphalted space directly adjacent, so I can drive there with a trailer.
  • I have access to water and electricity there
  • On two sides there is (light) industry, on the other two sides residential houses.
  • I would like a solution that is as low-maintenance as possible
  • I want my chicken to be happy

My Idea:
Take a reefer trailer (the one used to carry frozen stuff) and convert it to a coop. This idea is due to a few advantages:
  • It is relatively cheap used (might come out at the same price or even cheaper than building material for building a nice coop)
  • It is already insulated (sound)
  • I can move it if I need to vacate the meadow
  • hygenic flat surfaces inside. Far less chance of mites. If need be I can power-wash it.

I would built outside-accessible nesting boxes, and a droppings-conveyer belt. Also use deep-litter. Also the "parking space" would be under large trees, thus beeing in the shades in summer.

The chicken would have outside access during the day, also in winter, however there will probably be 1-6weeks in winter with snow.
I would need to keep it quiet during the night due to the residential houses around.
I am thinking about ~20 hens.

Now here are my questions:
  1. I would build active ventilation, so I have only two smaller (easy to muffle) holes in the trailer. Is there a rule of thumb how many cubic feet of air the ventilation needs to move per chicken per hour?
  2. I want to use an automatic door that locks during night. Does anyone have experience with RFID to make sure every hen is inside?
  3. Do the chicken prefer natural light or just light? Do I need to put windows in there or is electric light fine too?

I am sure there will be more questions that pop up ;).

thanks
Daniel

Last edited:
Do you mean freezer coop? Something that well sealed may create condensation inside of it without copious amounts of ventilation. Do you have any photos of what you are looking for?

Do you mean freezer coop? Something that well sealed may create condensation inside of it without copious amounts of ventilation. Do you have any photos of what you are looking for?

I mean something like that but in a shorter version. The one that does not "sit" on the truck, but is pulled behind? (not sure what the correct english term is, if I search for reefer trailer I only find the long version)

It is insulated, so there should not be condensation with normal amount of ventilation?

I mean something like that but in a shorter version. The one that does not "sit" on the truck, but is pulled behind? (not sure what the correct english term is, if I search for reefer trailer I only find the long version)

It is insulated, so there should not be condensation with normal amount of ventilation?
Ah I see what you mean now. The moisture will come from the birds themselves. Like a car full of people where the windows fog up. Doesn't mean it won't work but adequate ventilation is of utmost importance.

Oh, yes that is clear. I am aware that ventilation is important, I will add a humidity sensor that controls the ventilation. Bot for sizing purposes I would need a rough rule of thumb how much ventilation per chicken (ft^3/chicken/hour or whatever unit is prefered).

Oh, yes that is clear. I am aware that ventilation is important, I will add a humidity sensor that controls the ventilation. Bot for sizing purposes I would need a rough rule of thumb how much ventilation per chicken (ft^3/chicken/hour or whatever unit is prefered).
So a general rule is minimum 1 SQ foot of ventilation per chicken. More is better. 4 SQ feet of floor space per chicken. 1 SQ foot of roost space per chicken. 10 SQ feet of run (outdoor enclosure) space per chicken. Hope these numbers help!

1. Minimum recommendation is 1 sq ft of ventilation per chicken (I have around 3 sq ft per chicken).

3. Not sure if chickens have a light preference. They do need light inside so they can see to get in and roost, and to use nest boxes. I think either could possibly work, though I personally prefer natural light because obviously no need to pay for the electricity. And because the natural brightening of sunrise and natural darkening of sunset is hard to replicate with artificial light, and the chickens obviously use it as a signal of when to get off the roost and get on it.

1. Minimum recommendation is 1 sq ft of ventilation per chicken (I have around 3 sq ft per chicken).
Yes, I am aware of that recommendation, unfortunately that is for passive ventilation, and thus useless for active ventilation planning purposes (passive ventilation: area, active ventilation:volume).

I found recommendation for 0.1 cubic feet of air flow per minute per pound of body weight of the chickens for each 1°F of outside air temperature.
However I am unsure if that is the minimum for "industrial" poultry houses and I should plan higher?

3. Not sure if chickens have a light preference. They do need light inside so they can see to get in and roost, and to use nest boxes. I think either could possibly work, though I personally prefer natural light because obviously no need to pay for the electricity. And because the natural brightening of sunrise and natural darkening of sunset is hard to replicate with artificial light, and the chickens obviously use it as a signal of when to get off the roost and get on it.
Well, I want inside lighting (dimmable) for winter egg-laying purposes anyway....

Ahh sorry I misunderstood, not familiar with active ventilation systems. Although with anything I'd always want to aim higher than what factory farms consider acceptable... have you ever smelled what it's like inside one?

I'd personally still want windows even with an artificial lighting system, though it's not required if you were already planning on installing lights anyhow. But that's just my preference (I like natural light). I don't really know if chickens care one way or another...

Back
Top Bottom