Automatic Chicken Door Opener

joerogrz

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
Loretto, TN
I've looked on the web for one of these, but have only found closers which seem to be made of garage door components. Closing the door is no problem for me since I like to make sure all my chickens are in the coop before I close it up anyway. However, it would be really nice to have it automatically open in the mornings. Anyone ever see one of these?

If I can't find one then I'll build one. I may do that anyway even if there are some auto-openers out there.

I have been playing with two ideas for automatic door openers and Closers. One idea is adapting a cheap cordless screwdriver from Harbor Freight, the other is using a power antenna designed for vehicles. I am leaning toward the power antenna as it is designed for a power on - power off mode. The power screwdriver concept would use threaded bar stock that would raise and lower the door as a screw drive. The problem is timing the on/off switch between RT/off/LT. If I was electronically inclined I would build an electronic switch. If anyone has any good ideas about a switch let me know. [email protected]

My husband says it uses 4 AA batteries. He's the battery guy in this house.
lol.png

I am working on a complete kit or DIY instructions. It will be simple and hopefully I can keep it under $50.00 dollars. It will open on schedule and close on schedule or when told to do either. It will also be battery powered with a charger. All for under $50.00. I'll post when I've got the kinks worked out.

Back
Top Bottom