Automatic chicken door training period

When I installed our auto door the chickens were hesitant....until I tossed a handful of BSF grubs on the other side, then they were fighting to get through it. My chickens can ALWAYS be bribed with treats ;)

Haven't noticed any issues with them using the door at night - however in the mornings I've seen all of them inside the coop as if the door was closed - nope, it's open, they're just dumb and once one goes through all of them will, lol

When I installed our auto door the chickens were hesitant....until I tossed a handful of BSF grubs on the other side, then they were fighting to get through it. My chickens can ALWAYS be bribed with treats ;)

Haven't noticed any issues with them using the door at night - however in the mornings I've seen all of them inside the coop as if the door was closed - nope, it's open, they're just dumb and once one goes through all of them will, lol
I am not sure that is dumb, though. I think it is probably that not one of them really wants to be first, because there may be a chicken eater out there lol

I mean everything wants to eat chicken and they seem to know it.

I also purchased two auto doors but didn't install till now. Some of our hens prefer stay in the run much later than others, how do you decide the time to close the door, and do you set a different time in summer and winter? thanks.

I also purchased two auto doors but didn't install till now. Some of our hens prefer stay in the run much later than others, how do you decide the time to close the door, and do you set a different time in summer and winter? thanks.
I set mine to close when it's obviously dark (so if sunset is around 7:30 PM, I set it to 8 PM). I'm less concerned about predators skulking around just after dark, compared to ones at daybreak.

I manually adjust timer based on season, to compensate for lengthening and shortening of daylight hours.

Back
Top Bottom