Automatic Chicken Doors

UPDATE: I have had my Omlet automatic coop door in operation now for 3 months. I have it setup using the timer option. It hasn't missed a beat. I like really like the design as it opens left to right and not up and down. The safety device on the door works perfectly. No optical sensor to fail or get dirty like some of the other coop doors have. I'm very pleased that I decided to go with the Omlet door. I also have the coop light option and it is perfect when you need a little light after dark in the coop to check on the chickens.

The Ador 1 worked great for the first 2 years I had it. It just started acting up every few days. Sometimes it would only open halfway and only shut halfway. Sometimes it didn't open or close at all and then I had to use the manual open button. I probably did something wrong with it, maybe it got uneven after a while and that's why it stopped working or I just had a faulty part in it
I had a similar experience with my ADOR1 but was able to make it work consistently by cleaning the side tracks well. hitting them with dry lube and putting a couple of guide rollers where the door extends on opening to keep it straight (nylon spacer from hardware store screws to front wall)

I've had the Omlet for the past 2.5 years. Not one problem. Still on the original batteries (80%) life in them.

I want an Omlet but have zero idea how to make it fit this board and batten configuration. Maybe mount on the inside? - but I worry about pine chip stuff getting in the track.

Attachments

• 2E88B29B-0215-48E4-869C-DB21B3B30A26.jpeg
    2E88B29B-0215-48E4-869C-DB21B3B30A26.jpeg
    558.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 19B958DD-25B0-46DE-88A1-AA2E718D8C61.jpeg
    19B958DD-25B0-46DE-88A1-AA2E718D8C61.jpeg
    784.1 KB · Views: 15
I want an Omlet but have zero idea how to make it fit this board and batten configuration. Maybe mount on the inside? - but I worry about pine chip stuff getting in the track.
I attached T111 to the outside before I installed my door because I needed to have the coop wall redone. Then I just cut a hole the size of the omlet door in the t111 board. Then I hung the door up. This fixed my issue of closing off the extra space that was there before from the larger door I had on. You could install it on the inside. I'm not sure if shavings getting in the track would be a big issue. I don't think it would because the track-to-door seam is really small. My suggestion would be to look at some examples of installing an automatic door to an existing door online, and then try it yourself. They usually use plywood or the like.

I attached T111 to the outside before I installed my door because I needed to have the coop wall redone. Then I just cut a hole the size of the omlet door in the t111 board. Then I hung the door up. This fixed my issue of closing off the extra space that was there before from the larger door I had on. You could install it on the inside. I'm not sure if shavings getting in the track would be a big issue. I don't think it would because the track-to-door seam is really small. My suggestion would be to look at some examples of installing an automatic door to an existing door online, and then try it yourself. They usually use plywood or the like.
We looked it over today. The space is just 3/4” shy of the width I need but one post can be moved and my DH is willing to do that. So I pulled the trigger this evening on the Omlet. Overall I thought it would work best for us. I’m excited to get it. Thanks for the tips!

I am looking to purchase an automatic coop door. I have the Ador 1 but it has stopped working. I don't want to replace the parts to fix it, I just want to go ahead and purchase a different door. I have come across a few doors that I really like. I am really leaning towards purchasing the omlet one but I want everyone's extremely honest opinion. Does anyone have experience with any of these? Thanks in advance. Happy chicken keeping!

The first one is the Run chicken T50. Pros: works in my cold temperatures, it's easy to set up, looks great, the opening is large, battery operated. Cons: No sensor to see if chickens are in the doorway, it's the same design as the one I have already that has stopped working, 200 hundred dollars. https://www.amazon.com/Run-Chicken-Automatic-Chicken-Aluminum-Sensing/dp/B07XHG472H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3Q9XK64WKN3PP&keywords=run+t50&qid=1651020886&sprefix=run+t50,aps,145&sr=8-3

The JVR automatic chicken coop door kit. Pros: Has a sensor to prevent chickens from being caught under the door, has a timer and solar sensing technology, large opening, plugs in, 150 dollars. Cons: doesn't operate in weather below 15 degrees Fahrenheit, doesn't look the best. https://www.amazon.com/JVR-Automatic-Waterproof-Controller-Actuator/dp/B07HRT5WD2/ref=sr_1_15_sspa?crid=2OERLI92LPBFH&keywords=jvr+coop+door&qid=1651058669&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=jvr+coop+door,pets,77&sr=1-15-spons&psc=1&smid=AZJZIJQ37LZ1T&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExT1cxTktSUkxHRVEwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTU1NzgxMk5JWkRBQjVZVU1LQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODQ1MzkwMUpFR1VPOFFES1BGWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The omlet automatic chicken door. Pros: Easy setup, works in extreme weather, I have heard good things about it, awesome control panel, looks great, has a safety senor like elevator doors, battery-operated, Cons: small opening, 190 dollars. https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/automatic_chicken_coop_door_opener/
I have the Omlet and the only complaint I have is when I was using the Light Mode I did not have the patience to tinker with the settings to get it right so now I just use the Time mode and plug in the sunrise and sunset times. What I like about the Omlet is the elevator door safety feature and having that small light attached to it so a small light turns on inside the coop at the close door time and the light stays on for 5 minutes before the door closes and I also like that the whole Omlet is ran off of small batteries.

Attachments

• 80950FD2-5639-4013-B59E-F70E8657EF98.jpeg
    80950FD2-5639-4013-B59E-F70E8657EF98.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom