Automatic Chicken Doors

I attached T111 to the outside before I installed my door because I needed to have the coop wall redone. Then I just cut a hole the size of the omlet door in the t111 board. Then I hung the door up. This fixed my issue of closing off the extra space that was there before from the larger door I had on. You could install it on the inside. I'm not sure if shavings getting in the track would be a big issue. I don't think it would because the track-to-door seam is really small. My suggestion would be to look at some examples of installing an automatic door to an existing door online, and then try it yourself. They usually use plywood or the like.
I installed mine inside the coop.

Adding my experience…..We discussed whether inside or outside the coop would be the best place for our auto door. We ended up installing on the inside because I thought it would be better protected. I overlooked how inaccessible it was. Our run is walk in height. Our coop is not (6’ tall but elevated off ground 2’). So we ended up removing it and installing on the outside of the coop in the run where I could easily get to it. I don’t manually use it very often, however, it’s so much easier to use now that I can walk right to it.

Adding my experience…..We discussed whether inside or outside the coop would be the best place for our auto door. We ended up installing on the inside because I thought it would be better protected. I overlooked how inaccessible it was. Our run is walk in height. Our coop is not (6’ tall but elevated off ground 2’). So we ended up removing it and installing on the outside of the coop in the run where I could easily get to it. I don’t manually use it very often, however, it’s so much easier to use now that I can walk right to it.
That’s something I hadn’t thought of. My coop may have the opposite problem as yours. Our pop hole is in a mini run attached to coop. As it is now, it’s uncomfortable to kneel in the doorway and stretch over to close the door. Inside the coop although it’s a stretch too, I don’t everyday to scoop poo. I push the bedding out of my way, and kneel inside, but I don’t have to crouch.

Attachments

• FFE956B0-5E3D-4F3A-B2ED-4A2F251D7D2F.jpeg
    FFE956B0-5E3D-4F3A-B2ED-4A2F251D7D2F.jpeg
    784.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 4AC2FAF4-BBDE-4E82-8222-B7F191A1188F.jpeg
    4AC2FAF4-BBDE-4E82-8222-B7F191A1188F.jpeg
    823.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 04ADC3BF-D5AD-49C2-B96A-0A5521662D22.png
    04ADC3BF-D5AD-49C2-B96A-0A5521662D22.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Help!!! Last night at almost 10 I heard my 3 girls squawking. I ran outside and my brahma was on the ground with a bloody comb and chipped beak. I am guessing whatever it was ran out.... Of the Omelet door that closed hours earlier!!!!! So today I thought maybe it was the batteries since there was 30% left. I put new batteries in , watched their light on on ,watched them go on and the door closed (it's on a timer ) I checked about 5 xs and about 8:00 tonight I checked again now feeling crazy. I found the door was open again!!!!!
I wrote the company but what would cause this? I think this July it will be 2 yrs and we have never had any issues, but now I don't trust this at all and have it in manual mode so now I will have to open and close it

Back
Top Bottom