Automatic door? maybe didnt work? *WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTOS*

MCBirdman

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2016

16 chickens all gone.

I have Brinsea automatic door. went down/closed at dusk. went up/opened at 7:30. went out at 7:50 to see this. all dead, heads gone. suspect a fox. somebody said weasel. going to set the trail cam up tonight.
question is: has anyone had this type of thing with the automatic doors?

16 chickens all gone.

I have Brinsea automatic door. went down/closed at dusk. went up/opened at 7:30. went out at 7:50 to see this. all dead, heads gone. suspect a fox. somebody said weasel. going to set the trail cam up tonight.
question is: has anyone had this type of thing with the automatic doors?

Thats soon sad.... Im really sorry to hear that! I have never used an automatic door. Somebody who has will come along and give you some info!

OyVey.....so sorry!!

You're positive it closed the night before?

Might be 7:30 is too early?

No signs of scat or hair?

Could be something got in last night before door closed too.
Even tho autodoor can be convenient, it has to be adjusted for daylight changes.......
......and nothing replaces eyes on checks by keeper, scope out coop for invaders and count birds every night.

hit.gif
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry for your loss! Something may have gotten in before the door shut for the night (and escaped when it opened in the morning), or the door may not have functioned properly (dead battery?) and stayed open all night. Did you check it to make sure it was closed at night? A large animal like a raccoon or fox would have eaten a good portion of the body of at least one if it were trapped in there all night. But don't assume it was because of the automatic door. Check your coop over very carefully to make sure there are no other openings that a small animal, like a small raccoon or weasel, could squeeze through. You would be surprised how small an opening critters can squeeze through.

it looks like the critter got closed in with them all night no way enough time in the am. That is why I wont use an auto door I want a visual count and check at bed

But is this normal? Is there something I can do to the door? Has anyone ever had a door fail like this?

I was thinking about putting a inch wood plank across the bottom and make it flush with metal so he could not get paws/nose under metal to push up?

Back
Top Bottom