automatic door opener for small resin coop?

sumu

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012
I made a nice city/stealth coop from a large size resin dog house. Works fine for 4 hens, made windows, easy to clean and disinfect, etc. I need/want to install an electric automatic door but the commercial ones I've seen are for much taller coops. I am electronically challenged and cannot read wiring diagrams or adapt car parts and such. It has to be something that a Home Depot assistant can help me with at the very most. Add-a-door and PulletShut look good but way too big and tall. I'm afraid the coop height limitation (30in) dictates no automatic door. Non electric systems of weights and counterweights and buckets are not an option, there is just no room.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Ideas? Clues? Anything is appreciated.
Thanking you in advance,

Suzanne
Ann Arbor, MI

Last edited:
The pullet-shut door says it's 11" x 15" I think that would fit wouldn't it??

Good point. Hmmm. I'd have to block the 14" difference in the height....I hate to get something I can't use. I supposed I could resell it on ebay.
Thanks!
Suzanne

Here's a video of my car antenna door opener/closer in a timer. Has been working flawlessly for 4 months. Total cost $30

The car antenna design is by far the cheapest way to go, but I can imagine the difficulty of adapting it to your coop. If you could post pictures of the coop doorway, that would help.

Something like this:

http://www.fabiens.org/ckblog/?page_id=106

That uses a motor and spool would be more versatile in a small space. You could adapt it to a hinged door instead of a sliding door.

On the other hand, I think I just thought of a way to make the sliding antenna door work. I really need to see pictures of your coop.

On the other hand, if you have the money for the Pullet Shut, that would be the simplest solution. Personally, I'd block your extra space with a 4" lip at the bottom and a 10" block at the top. The bottom lip will help keep bedding and poop from accumulating at the bottom door frame, and possibly interfering with operation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom