Automatic door recommendation

Dryfly

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
Maine
I live in Maine and have concern over freezing batteries. What is the best automatic coop door for my situation? I need it to be reliable and would prefer to use battery or solar.

Last edited:
There are some pictures here of my set up:
Post #46, https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lighting-without-electricity.1255331/page-5#post-20150479
I have a poultry butler door, has a light sensor or timer you can set. I use the timer since a dark thunderstorm can cause the sensor to close the door. You do have to adjust the timer as the daylight hours change with the seasons. Since I'm in North Florida freezing is not as much an issue, so you will have to judge on that, more worry here of things getting wet. Solar panel set came from Harbor Freight and it has worked well. I think we are on year 4 with no issues.

I have the Pullet-Shut automatic chicken door. I have had my door for going on five years and have had no problems with it. I live in Michigan and the door has worked without any problems on even our coldest days.

Yes, I have heard of chicken guard. I am building a coop right now and was considering a chicken guard until I found Brinsea's new chicksafe advance. Seems to be almost the same thing as the chicken guard extreme except cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom