Automatic poultry picker from McMurray

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
I see they have a table top model for $350. Has anyone had experience with this particular model? The price seems reasonable and would probably store well since it's not too big.

Thanks,

Mary

We just started using a cup type. But the one they have a number of people on the forum have used it, and a number of Hunters I know use one like that. and Yes it does work a lot better then hand plucking.

There is also a number of DIY types here that have also built there own like that one.

Tom

Last edited:
I have seen a whizbang work and it is amazing. I have also used the table top model. It is not. A table top would work much better than hand plucking, and a whizbang is better than the table top. I fairly certain when you build it yourself, a whizbang only costs $200.

Well, I would love a whiz bang. BUT, since my dh just finished building my second coop and run.......I think I have tapped my reserves for awhile. I mean with the " Honeydo" list.

I don't do that many meat chickens so I think I will try the table top. Also don't have the room to store anything too big.

I have a home made electric hand plucker that he made me and it's OK......but not great. Still have to do some plucking by hand.

McMurray is usually higher than other places. Wonder if any other place sells the table top model for less than 350.

There is a Dux table top at chickenpickers.com for 295 that we were thinking about getting. I don't want to wait the 4 weeks, so I was thinking about getting it from the fellow on eBay that has them. Supposed to be much faster shipping. But if the McMurray one was good and shipped fast enough to help me pluck the remaining 30 birds in the back yard, I would spend the extra.

Strange.........I was back on McMurray site and now the table top isn't shown.

Wonder if they're reading this forum.

Anyway, it was a tub type.

I have one like you mentioned only a bit smaller. My husband made it for about 15.00. It was SO easy. He took a pvc end cap and drilled holes and then inserted pieces of a black rubber bungy cord. Inserted a carraige bold through a center hole in the end of the cap and attached it to a corded variable speed drill. You could try that for a whole lot less. Took him about a half hour to make it.

It's good but doesn't get them as clean as the tub plucker. But, it does get about 90 percent of the feathers. I hand plucked the rest and scrubbed any left over pin feathers with a kitchen scrubby pad.

Don't know if you've seen the one Purple Chicken made. IT looks just like the 295 one. He has a video on here showing how it worked. Doubt it cost him much to make it.

I have two of those drum type pluckers.. I bought the first one over 35 years ago from a chicken farmer that was retiring.. paid $35.oo for it.. It plucks every bit as well as any other plucker I have run across. I can pluck a chicken in 20 seconds..

the newer used one that I bought does not work as well.. the fingers are too far apart and makes it rougher to hold on to the chicken..

the old commercial model has a 15" diameter drum with fingers every 1 3/4 inches apart .. 144 total

If you want a tub style there happens to be a book just for you with the weirdest name "How to Build a Whiz Bang Chicken Plucker". How aptly named. You can buy it from most hatcheries and the guy who wrote the book sells hard-to-find-parts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom