Automatic Watering ??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by briecardosa, Apr 23, 2019.

1. briecardosa

briecardosa Chirping

Mar 12, 2019
    Encinitas, CA
    First timer with six three month old pullets.
    I don't know when and if they will ever take to this watering thing...

I purchased this on eBay. I read that sometimes young chicken's beak's aren't big enough to trip the valve. I fill it up. They drink it but can't figure out how to refill it. I have it on the highest sensitivity adjustment on the pressure regulator.

I need to remount itit higher...

IMG_20190423_171717.jpg

cavemanrich likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    The height was the first thing that I noticed in the picture. If they are drinking from the cups, but not able to trigger the refill, that is what I suspect. If you are going to reconfigure the system, I suggest you also try to install a couple horizontal nipples. Those of course would need to be higher than the cup waterer.
    Is it easy for you to activate the valve on the cup if you were using a straw to press down with??? Many of those cup systems are designed to be operated with pressure from a water bucket filled with water. If you are using a house pressure water source, and it is stepped down thru a regulator, It may still be too much pressure at the cup. :idunno
    Too much pressure makes triggering the cup valve difficult.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

blackdog043 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: