I caught that "silver crested" too.
Gold legbars are the same as cream but without the cream gene. Silver is silver ducking instead of gold duckwing.
Idk if the OPs birds are some sort of project or what. True solve legbars lay cream or white colored eggs so I have to assume they are using creme or some cream cross if they're working on olive eggers.
Btw you can make auto sexing on silver duckwing also.its not only the red/gold that gets diluted. On silver duckwing it dilutes the stripes like on the golds so females have distinct stripes and the males have faded stripes and not the overall contrasts as the females.

Yes, I if the Silver Crested Cream Legbars is a pure bred silver based birds with the cream diluter and cresting there isn't a problem with the auto-sexing, but if is is some type of cross of a pure Crested Cream Legbars and a none barred silver based breed then the cockerels from that cross would not be able to create autosexing because they would only have the single factor barring. :)

.... I only had three hatch (2 male, 1 female), so I was trying to see what else I could do with them....

You could put one male in with the female and hatch about 20 chickens then rotate males and hatch another 20 chicks. Then you could pick the best two females from the first 20 chicks to breed back to the first male the best two chicks from the second 20 chicks to breed back to the 2nd male and the best cockerel from all 40 chicks to breed back to the female. Then you would have thee breeding lines started. ;)

Last edited:
I haven't spoke with the original breeder yet, but the chicks were autosexing at hatch. There is the chance that if there was a cross I don't know about, these F1s may have been sex linked for chipmunk stripes without me realizing it.

Update:

They are regular Crested Cream Legbars. Not "Silver Crested". They're from the 2013 import from Rees at Greenfire Farms.

Hi...sorry, I was trying to follow the above. So if you cross a Black Copper Maran with a Cream Legbar you will be able to tell the difference in the chicks? Do you happen to have any pictures of the chicks where you can show the dilution?

You can make a Black Sex-link by crossing a Back Copper Marans male (or any other non-barred black base colored male) with Cream Legbar females (or any other breed with sex-linked barring).

If done with the black males over barred females all the offspring should come out black. The males will be the ones with the white spots and their head and the females will be the ones with out the white spots on the top of the head.

0_black_sex_links.jpeg

There's some confusion going on.
When you all are talking about crossing to a barred hen that is producing sex links.
Autosexing is what CCL are.
Sex links are a one time cross. Autosexing is when they bred true for sexing at birth generation after generation.
Marans X CCL will not make auto sexing. Or at least not without selective breeding for a few generations first.
CCLs are auto sexing because of the sex link barring and the wild type (chipmunk) pattern.
You would have better luck crossing a welsummer rooster over CCL hens. That cross will be sex linked.
You can then use a male back to a CCL hen and half of the pullets will be barred and half of the cockerels will have two copies of barring. Breed those chicks together and you will have auto sexing OEs.

I know this post is old but hoping you can help! I have a 5 day old chick from a legbar hen and wellsummer rooster...you say this cross is autosexing, but what exactly am I looking for? I also havetwo chicks from the welsummer rooster and an olive egger hen (legbar cross maran), I’m guessing these ones won’t be autosexing?

The welsummer rooster over legbar hen chick is sex linked not autosexing. If it has a yellow spot on top its head it's male if it doesn't it's female.
Idk which was which in the parents of your other cross. If the OE hens are barred same answer as for the other chick.
If the hens aren't barred then no sex link chicks.

The welsummer rooster over legbar hen chick is sex linked not autosexing. If it has a yellow spot on top its head it's male if it doesn't it's female.
Idk which was which in the parents of your other cross. If the OE hens are barred same answer as for the other chick.
If the hens aren't barred then no sex link chicks.

thanks for replying moonshiner! These 3 are all chipmunk looking so I guess no sex link. I have another 3 that came from a legbar rooster over either a splash maran or a cuckoo maran but from what I’ve read on other posts these won’t be sexed link either? There’s two black ones with some white, one with a clear little spot on its head the other with a big fuzzy spot, hoping that means nothing?

Back
Top Bottom