auzzie rooster with stuck legs??

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
went out before to find my 5 yr old australorp roo sitting on his bum with both his legs stretched out in front of him...he didnt seem to be able to move them...they are both stiff but i can move them (been trying a bit of physio on him) but if he tries to stand they both seem to stiffen hard and straight and he just topples over....

any idea what could be wrong? he seemed fine this morning. could it be a hip or back injury perhaps?

Hi spish,

that does sound serious. I'm sorry to say I don't really know what you can do except put him somewhere quiet and see if he improves. I guess if he's got nerve damage from something (hawk attack? Landing hard?) an anti-inflammatory might help, but I gather it can take weeks for a bird with serious nerve damage to improve, if indeed he's going to at all.

I guess some other possibilities include botulism (though that usually affects the whole bird; and feathers are easily able to be pulled out) and also as a possibility, infectious encephalomyelitis (carried by pigeons). Then there's Marek's, though it seems a little sudden for that; or as you say, a break somewhere in the pelvis or spine. If this is a precious bird it might be sensible to go to a vet for x-rays; if he's a farm animal it might be a case of trying TLC and other low-cost treatment e.g. anti-inflammatories then making a decision in a week or two if he doesn't get better.

I've seen roosters injure themselves badly jumping from a great height, but both legs going at once is rare unless there's a systemic (disease/tumour/botulism) or central (spine) reason.

Not an expert, just some thoughts.

sad.png

Best of luck,
Erica

hi erica thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated
smile.png

i brought him inside yesterday and kept him quiet in a dark room with electrolytes in his water and i cooked him some eggs to eat.

today he's back on his feet, his legs are still stiff and he looks like he's walking as if his legs were splinted (stiff and straightened) but at least he's up on his feet for short periods of time. he seems more comfy sitting down but i'll keep him inside for a few more days and see how he gets on
smile.png

Hi spish, I'm glad he's up and about.
smile.png
Hope the improvement continues.
Erica

Back
Top Bottom