1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Avian pox question!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunnibunny99, Sep 1, 2009.

1. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    onthespot sent me a link to photos of avian pox (thanks onthespot...looks like you were right on!!)

I understand that this is a viral disease and must take it's course, but, does anyone know if our "girls" eggs are edible and safe for consumption?

I've looked up a bunch of info. but to this I could not find an answer.

Thanks a million!! Sunni

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Have you medicated them and if so, with what?

How long ago since the meds.

Thanks................

3. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    No meds at this time as all the info. indicates there is no treatment for this disease. The articles went on to say that it (Fowl Pox or FP) is transmitted by mosquitoes. It takes it's course for several weeks or more and usually goes away on its own unless it gets down int' their lungs...yikes!!

One article read that some use a liquid antibiotic in there drinking water for secondary infections...but I'm no goin to try this. I actually found a site on natural treatments and home remedies that gave me many ideas on working on their immune system thru healthy means such as garlic, apple cider vinegar, sulpher, ...very interesting.

I will find the link! http://gardentenders.com/members/Xploreorganics/blog/40

this
    is an EXCELLENT site!!

4. hoppychicken

hoppychicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for the site---I bookmarked it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by