Aviary Netting or what Should I use ?

Lover duck duck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Okay I am almost done building my duck coop. I purchased 1” aviary netting to put over the top of the 30’ x 30’ pen that’s 6’ high double wrapped with 1/4” hardware cloth and welded wire. My question: Is the aviary netting good enough to keep flying predators at bay? My ducks will be locked up at night, but during the daytime I’m worried about hawks, scissored tail kites and black vultures here in Orlando Florida. If not, what do you think about chicken wire since it’s less expensive than hardware cloth and the aviary netting on top of that? I read of some people doing it this way but don’t know if I need support post at center of pen for the chicken wire. What do you all think, please give some advice/opinions. Want to finish up by this weekend. Thanks in advance.

If you put up chicken wire - and it wouldn't hurt to do that, regardless - I would put a support pole up in the middle - even if it's just one. You may not need it right away, but it will be easier to add it now than try to retrofit later on. and you'll be glad to have the extra support in a year or two when things start to relax and sag a bit.

Okay I am almost done building my duck coop. I purchased 1” aviary netting to put over the top of the 30’ x 30’ pen that’s 6’ high double wrapped with 1/4” hardware cloth and welded wire. My question: Is the aviary netting good enough to keep flying predators at bay? My ducks will be locked up at night, but during the daytime I’m worried about hawks, scissored tail kites and black vultures here in Orlando Florida. If not, what do you think about chicken wire since it’s less expensive than hardware cloth and the aviary netting on top of that? I read of some people doing it this way but don’t know if I need support post at center of pen for the chicken wire. What do you all think, please give some advice/opinions. Want to finish up by this weekend. Thanks in advance.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I9XJRE4/ref=twister_B01I9XJRG2?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
This is what I use. It is super strong. They make it in 1",2" , and I think 4".

I use 1" chicken wire on the tops of my pens. It's 6' wide so I have to have support beams every 6' to staple the wire to...you could use hog rings to connect the wire but then you have to buy hog ring pliers and hog rings, extra costs.
I've used netting before and have had predators get in by tearing the netting. Pheasants don't go to roost in a coop like chickens, so wire is best for me. If you only have to worry about hawks in daytime, netting will probably suit your needs adequately.

I use the same as the phantom posted. I think they recommended it to me before I got it. I have had hawks surveying the area, but my ducks and chickens are safe. So, it works. Depending on how big your run is, you still might need support to hold the netting up.

Thank you to all that have replied. My pen is 30 feet by 30 feet making it 900 square feet total. I don’t want to buy hardware cloth to use over the top because the cost to cover this size pen would be over $700, so I’m thinking just to be a little safer since my neighbor just had a hawk kill her best chicken right in front of them, to use the chicken wire then aviary netting with a support post or two. @The Phantom thanks for the link that is the same one I purchased in 1” but 50’ x 50’. It was pretty expensive but even with that I’m scared because the vultures/buzzards are pretty big and they are around here and are by our pine trees every day and theres always 2 or 3 of them flying around together. They have landed in our yard many times and my horses scared them off.

If you use Phantom's netting I don't see any need to double it up with anything else. No bird of prey will get through that. If you add wire to stop other predators from climbing up there and chewing through it, the wire will stop birds of prey if you cover it all. I'm a little confused when you talk about doubling it up.

In a 30 x 30 you will need a support as it will sag.

I used 2" extra heavy duty knotted netting from Pinnon Hatch Farms. https://www.pinnonhatch.com/Poultry-Netting-Heavy-Nets
He sells it in smaller dimensions on eBay.
I went with 2" because where I was living we got the occasional heavy snowfall. Now I've moved somewhere where snow is rare but 2" is still good for not building up leaves and sticks.
I use airline cable and 2x2 posts to hold the netting up since my run is not framed (it is welded wire dog kennel panels).

ETA I see that it is the same as the netting The Phantom posted.

Last edited:
If you use Phantom's netting I don't see any need to double it up with anything else. No bird of prey will get through that. If you add wire to stop other predators from climbing up there and chewing through it, the wire will stop birds of prey if you cover it all. I'm a little confused when you talk about doubling it up.

In a 30 x 30 you will need a support as it will sag.
Thanks for your reply. I double fenced the perimeter of the pen not the top. I was thinking of putting chicken wire with the aviary net because I didn’t trust whether it would stop a flying predator or not. I will be using two center post, hopefully that is enough. I will try to use just the net alone since I paid so much for it.

Back
Top Bottom