awaiting hatching...

finally had 2 hatch late last night! I didn't realise how fast they do it! The first one we missed the hatching process- just heard the little guy cheeping away after it had hatched. The second one we watched the whole thing - took only about 20 minutes! Still waiting for the others this morning. The 2 that have hatched are looking fluffly, and the other 10 have not even pipped... is it okay to open the incubator to take them out now??

It is so hard to wait... put first hatch I think I checked ever 5sec!! But my husband was just as bad checking too Lol! It'
So exciting to watch them just pop right out.​

Thank you for switching to a readable text color. :)

Went to check on them just after writing that last post, and found that 3 more hatched when I wasn't looking! Sneaky little creatures!

Quail hatch fast, don't they! And you may find they seem to like to hatch in pairs or multiples.
Pips can be very hard to see, especially if the eggs are very speckled. You can pull them out while there is a break in the action, if absolutely necessary, but probably better just to leave them until they are dry.

Post some pics when you can :clap

Went to check on them just after writing that last post, and found that 3 more hatched when I wasn't looking! Sneaky little creatures!
Haha i told you they just pop like crazy!!!!
Pictures soon please i love the little fuzz balls!!!

@WVduckchick being on the squatch thread i got tired of gaving to pick all three things to change it to haha so everyone lucked out!!!

Last edited:
Haha i told you they just pop like crazy!!!!
Pictures soon please i love the little fuzz balls!!!

@WVduckchick being on the squatch thread i got tired of gaving to pick all three things to change it to haha so everyone lucked out!!!
Hope, I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. They are super cute, aren't they? I pulled the first 6 out of the incubator this evening - there hadn't been any hatches since morning and all were dry. Well timed too, as number 7 hatched not half an hour after.

They're doing well except for one little guy I'm worried about. It came out awkwardly from the wrong end of its egg. It seems uncoordinated and tired compared to the others. It keeps wandering out (or being pushed out?) from under the electric hen and then just cheeping its little head off until I go stick it back under again. It seems shaky and not as bright and alert as the others. It did hatch later in the morning than the others - maybe I should have kept it in the incubator longer? But I can't open it and stick it back in now - there's a wet chick in there now! Maybe I should go post this as a new thread to ask advice...

Hope, I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. They are super cute, aren't they? I pulled the first 6 out of the incubator this evening - there hadn't been any hatches since morning and all were dry. Well timed too, as number 7 hatched not half an hour after.

They're doing well except for one little guy I'm worried about. It came out awkwardly from the wrong end of its egg. It seems uncoordinated and tired compared to the others. It keeps wandering out (or being pushed out?) from under the electric hen and then just cheeping its little head off until I go stick it back under again. It seems shaky and not as bright and alert as the others. It did hatch later in the morning than the others - maybe I should have kept it in the incubator longer? But I can't open it and stick it back in now - there's a wet chick in there now! Maybe I should go post this as a new thread to ask advice...
Im so glad they are hatching!! They are so cute... hopefully mine eill be poping in the next few days!!!
You could definitely ask other's for help... there are a few people on here that know alot about quail! Other opinioms are always great!!!!

Okay, I figured out how to upload pictures. I've had seven chicks hatch so far. Though one didn't make it - the one that came out the wrong end of its shell and has seemed weaker than the others, so it's sad but I'm not really surprised. I've still got the remaining 5 eggs in the incubator just in case.

They guy I got the eggs from keeps four breeds of coturnix: white, pharoah, Tibetan, and golden Italian. He gave me a mix of eggs from the four breeds, so now I get to guess what I've got. The white ones are obvious, the others I'm not so sure but I am guessing mainly pharoah.
IMG_20171212_163922379.jpg
IMG_20171212_163925989.jpg

Im so glad they are hatching!! They are so cute... hopefully mine eill be poping in the next few days!!!
You could definitely ask other's for help... there are a few people on here that know alot about quail! Other opinioms are always great!!!!

Good luck with your eggs, Hope. Have posted pics of mine, would love to see pictures of yours when the arrive. What type of quail are they?

Ahhhhh they are so cute!!
I have had 3 hatch last night early this morning (they are still wet) when they dry i will post.
I have basically the same mix.
Corotnix and texas A&M.

Okay, I figured out how to upload pictures. I've had seven chicks hatch so far. Though one didn't make it - the one that came out the wrong end of its shell and has seemed weaker than the others, so it's sad but I'm not really surprised. I've still got the remaining 5 eggs in the incubator just in case.

They guy I got the eggs from keeps four breeds of coturnix: white, pharoah, Tibetan, and golden Italian. He gave me a mix of eggs from the four breeds, so now I get to guess what I've got. The white ones are obvious, the others I'm not so sure but I am guessing mainly pharoah.
View attachment 1207410 View attachment 1207411

Adorable!! :love

Back
Top Bottom