awaiting hatching...

Dec 8, 2017
I'm having a go at incubating and raising quail. Got a nice but basic (no auto-turn) Brinsea incubator, and a dozen Japanese quail eggs, mail-ordered. They are due to hatch today and I'm feeling nervous! I've seen a few egg wiggles off and on over the last few days. Today, no wiggles, no sign of pipping yet. I know they are not always on time, but I can't help worrying!

Okay, I figured out how to upload pictures. I've had seven chicks hatch so far. Though one didn't make it - the one that came out the wrong end of its shell and has seemed weaker than the others, so it's sad but I'm not really surprised. I've still got the remaining 5 eggs in the incubator just in case.

They guy I got the eggs from keeps four breeds of coturnix: white, pharoah, Tibetan, and golden Italian. He gave me a mix of eggs from the four breeds, so now I get to guess what I've got. The white ones are obvious, the others I'm not so sure but I am guessing mainly pharoah.
IMG_20171212_163922379.jpg
IMG_20171212_163925989.jpg

I'm having a go at incubating and raising quail. Got a nice but basic (no auto-turn) Brinsea incubator, and a dozen Japanese quail eggs, mail-ordered. They are due to hatch today and I'm feeling nervous! I've seen a few egg wiggles off and on over the last few days. Today, no wiggles, no sign of pipping yet. I know they are not always on time, but I can't help worrying!
:welcome We all do that get nervous at hatch time keep watching and waiting. Those little get full the wiggling is them getting in position to pip and hatch .what day are you on ?

Cot Tibetan tux.jpg Cots.jpg
Here's a couple of photos of our Tibetan tuxedos

And this one is a Rosetta tuxedo for comparison - yours looked lighter in the first photo and darker in the second so I wasn't entirely sure which yours were. There can be quite a lot of variety in their colours and they are often referred to as 'British Range'.
Cot Rosetta tux.jpg

As you can probably guess I've taken a lot of photos of our baby quail. They are just too cute!

finally had 2 hatch late last night! I didn't realise how fast they do it! The first one we missed the hatching process- just heard the little guy cheeping away after it had hatched. The second one we watched the whole thing - took only about 20 minutes! Still waiting for the others this morning. The 2 that have hatched are looking fluffly, and the other 10 have not even pipped... is it okay to open the incubator to take them out now??

Im so glad they are hatching!! They are so cute... hopefully mine eill be poping in the next few days!!!
You could definitely ask other's for help... there are a few people on here that know alot about quail! Other opinioms are always great!!!!

Good luck with your eggs, Hope. Have posted pics of mine, would love to see pictures of yours when the arrive. What type of quail are they?

Back
Top Bottom