AWFUL experience with Cackle.

()relics :

I order from them yearly in Feburary and have never had anything but good things to say about them...If they are trying to correct things I would tend to give them the benefit of the doubt....

That's exactly what I am going to do. I am hopeful that it's just been a bad year (or time of year) for them. She did mention that some key personnel had been out sick so that might be an explanation. I am a business owner myself so I can certainly understand mess ups. It's all how it's handled that matters. I promise to report back on the eventual outcome. If everything is "fixed" and this works out OK, I will be the first to say so. I have learned some valuable lessons from it all though.

Thanks for everyone's input.

(FWIW, I went to the feed store this afternoon for horse feed and ended up picking up a couple extra very cute Araucanas. I expected DH to be angry especially since he now knows the 5 Dominiques are coming afterall. He actually told me to go back and get 4 more in the morning. Good boy! Sometimes I love him so much! That all made me feel MUCH better!
tongue.png
)​

Quote:
EXCUSE ME? It' s not the customers' responsibilty to monitor a hatcherie's dates or problems. The customer comes first. If they can't get their information straight so what. She asked for a specific ship date. "Can you do it?" "No I'm sorry we can't meet that ship date." Duh!

End of process.

Instead they tried to meet it and failed. Their problem not hers! She asked to cancel due to their inability to meet her requested ship date. She asked for refund. They can't go back to their boss and say "we screwed up, which resulted in a lost sale". Or don't want to.

Or "we ordered chicks from the hatcher but the customer canceled due to our inability to meet the requested ship date, after we said we could. Now we're stuck with these extras chicks"

No matter where the chicks come from. Either their hatchery or some other hatcher it's their responsibility to meet the cusotmers request. They failed. End of business with this customer and loss of future sales.

When you run a business you have to expect some losses. That's just the way it is. Any first year business student can tell you that. Not that I am one. I have my degree.

Quote:
EXCUSE ME? It' s not the customers' responsibilty to monitor a hatcherie's dates or problems. The customer comes first. If they can't get their information straight so what. She asked for a specific ship date. "Can you do it?" "No I'm sorry we can't meet that ship date." Duh!

End of process.

Instead they tried to meet it and failed. Their problem not hers! She asked to cancel due to their inability to meet her requested ship date. She asked for refund. They can't go back to their boss and say "we screwed up, which resulted in a lost sale". Or don't want to.

Or "we ordered chicks from the hatcher but the customer canceled due to our inability to meet the requested ship date, after we said we could. Now we're stuck with these extras chicks"

No matter where the chicks come from. Either their hatchery or some other hatcher it's their responsibility to meet the cusotmers request. They failed. End of business with this customer and loss of future sales.

When you run a business you have to expect some losses. That's just the way it is. Any first year business student can tell you that. Not that I am one. I have my degree.

I don't think you should place an order less than three weeks out and expect them to be able to fill it. The hatchery can't know 100% what kind of hatch they're going to have let alone if they'll have extras of the breed that the customer wants. Placing a very specific order, for time of delivery, breed and sex less than 3 weeks before you want them, I'm sorry, but I think the customer needs to take some of the responsibility for how it turned out. There were mistakes on both sides. Nothing like ordering at the last minute and expecting things to go exactly as you want them and then getting upset when they don't.

Well...

They could have simply said that it wasn't within their ability to fill the order within my limitations. If they had said that, I would have moved on and not placed the order with them. The truth of the matter is that they did say they could meet my requirements. And even when they finally decided that they couldn't, they didn't follow through with the cancellation. It's pretty obvious that SEVERAL people there dropped the proverbial ball.

And, in fact, they agreed with me today that THEY handled it wrong and there was nothing that I could have done to make the process run any smoother. Next year I will only order from them if I can order very early and without time restrictions. I will likely give them another chance in the future (like I said earlier) if they handle the rest of the process OK and if I get good quality from them. I will also make sure that I place the order with one specific rep and follow-up only with that rep.

I really don't feel like any of the fault of this issue lies with me. It would be like special ordering anything that you needed within a time frame and then having the end result turn out like this did. Anywhere along the way they could have followed through with the cancellation with the simple explanation of "we couldn't meet your requirements" and I would have understood. Instead they handled it all wrong until the very last person today (who I really do appreciate).

I just received an order of 15 sebrights and 5 white face black spanish bantams from cackle today. Everything was fine. I lost one black chick (not sure why, I had to take it to the vet and have it put down but luckily my best friend is a vet there and she met me. I just didn't have the heart to kill it or watch it die slowly- it was having a breathing problem and was barely alive by this evening. One little sebright doesn't look too good but they did send extras for both breeds, I just hate losing them:( Anyway, I had ordered them back at the end of march and after 10 days they sent me an email saying my ship date was Apr. 26th which was a loooong wait of anticipation for me but I survived. All in all, it was a pretty good experience.

Oh, and as a note, their website has an apology for all the problems going on there with ordering. However, they do state they hatch 140,000 chicks a week. I would def give the hatchery another chance as you said you would be willing to do because they probably have no idea they have a "bad egg" inthe bunch that doesn't care if they "sell to you or not." Yes, what that worker said was very rude and unbusinesslike but it doesn't sound like they are aware of her bad attitude. You should get her name and mention it to a manager if you speak with them again. That attitude is bad business and if the majority of them there felt that way they wouldn't be the hatchery they are today.

Quote:

End of process.

I don't think you should place an order less than three weeks out and expect them to be able to fill it. The hatchery can't know 100% what kind of hatch they're going to have let alone if they'll have extras of the breed that the customer wants. Placing a very specific order, for time of delivery, breed and sex less than 3 weeks before you want them, I'm sorry, but I think the customer needs to take some of the responsibility for how it turned out. There were mistakes on both sides. Nothing like ordering at the last minute and expecting things to go exactly as you want them and then getting upset when they don't.

Well allow me to disagree. I don't think you should except an order if there is doubt you can fill it. Cackle not only lost the OP's business but mine as well so that's two future orders they won't be getting. Not to mention anyone else who has common sense not to do business with them. YOU NEVER BLAME THE CUSTOMER WHEN YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO REFUSE TO FILL THE ORDER.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom