1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Awkward chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenrun223, Jan 30, 2009.

1. chickenrun223

chickenrun223 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    I've got these chickens, and recently, one of them laid up to 14 eggs in her next. However, she did not bother sitting on them. Does anyone know what's happening?[​IMG]

2. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    The number of eggs in a nest doesn't mean a domestic hen will go broody. In fact, when their hormones predict it is time to go broody, they could care less whether there are any eggs in the nest or not.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    One of my hens waited until there was 25 eggs in the nest to go broody and sit on them.

4. chickenrun223

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    But wouldnt the chicks in the nest die between the time the eggs are laid and the time when the hen decides to sit on them?

5. This is the miracle of chickens. They can lay a "clutch" of eggs, up to 10 days as I remember and then sit them. The temperature of the hens body starts the process of embryo to chickie.

You can do the same in an incubator and although the eggs have been laid by different hens at different times, Hatch day goes to 21 for all of them, it is amazing.

People on this site have even incubated refrigerated eggs with success !!

6. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Some breeds of chicken go broody very rarely and some don't at all. it doesn't really matter how many eggs there are.

Hope you have some success! Little chicks are fun. [​IMG]

Oh yes and [​IMG]

7. chickenrun223

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Haha. [​IMG] thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by