Awkward moment?

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
Curious...

happened a lil bit ago but gnaws on me....

I was at Chuck-ee Cheese with my middle son who was playing in the plastic ball pit.. Another lil kiddo waded in over towards me and held his arms out and went uhhh uhhhh (begging to be picked up and out of them) so I did so. He said thanks daddy. Then a young lady (early 20's? Waaaaaaaaaaaay younger than me) walked up with a slightly frantic look. The little boy held his arms out to her and I handed him over. He said daddy's coming home wif us tonight?!?!. The gal turned about 15 shades of red and pink.. tried to apologize and hurried away.

My son didn't understand. He said, dad, maybe you looked like his daddy and he was confused.

Awkward... I wish I wasn't too chicken or shocked to tell the gal it happens. No need to be mortified. I have neices and nephews from their mid 20's to 1 or two... and I am going to be a great uncle in March.

I know in this day in age it is usually high in the creep factor to have a strange guy hand you your kid.. but how am I to ignore a 4 or 5 year old who wants a boost and a hug? Wish things weren't so uptight. I grew up in a town where everyone knew everyone.. nobody locked their doors, and kids went from house to house depending on who had the brand new fan-dangled fruit roll-ups
wink.png

That's what I figured. But its impossible to ignore a kiddo ;( I don't want to throw mud, but she wasn't right there and I was. Maybe that's why she was freaked out?

Quote:
I didn't at first.. because my heart goes out to any kid first. I know I am jaded..

And those of you know what I do and why I do probably already understand..

But the kids come first, anything else is secondary. I don't care who what when where why how, kiddo wanted a boost and a hug. I gave it then felt like a creep
sad.png

don't feel like a creep, you probably made the kids day. You gave him some attention when he ask for it. Too many kids are ignored in this day and time for my liking.

I thought for sure this story was going a different direction. Glad it didn't. And I know its really hard these days to show kindness to kids without someone thinking you have other intentions.

A few years ago, I was the executive director of an art association. We had tours and provided demos and project making for groups, usually school kids. When you spend the better part of an hour with little ones and they watch you throw clay which is like 'magic' and then help them make little things to take home, its only natural that some of them wanted to hug you. But we didn't hug back for 'liability' reasons. I was raised in a similar situation as you, Boyd, and I know what you mean. It's kinda heartbreaking to see a little kid that just wants a hug and your natural instinct is to hug back.

As far as the 'daddy' word, you never know. The little boy may think any older male is 'daddy'. And she may have been embarassed that her son asked if 'daddy' was 'comming home with them tonight'. She may have lots of 'daddys' come spend the night. These days, you never know.

Anyway, I would have picked the kid up out of the pit if he reached for me too (but I'm a girl so its kinda different). Don't let it bother you. Just remember; you're the good person doing the right thing.

I know a couple that call each other Mama and Daddy. Now THAT could be confusing for a kid!!!! Poor kid. I have a feeling you look like someone who he was calling Daddy recently and is probably not there any longer.

Quote:
the weird thing for me, is I hear you look like so and so... And I hear it quite a bit. How many fat hillbillies with straw hats, bibs n harley boots you see around? I thought I was original enough to ensure uniqueness.

Back
Top Bottom